DVD drive Windows XP registry help needed!

The Belarussian Mafia 19:04 26 Nov 08

Yesterday I tried to install a Blue-ray player after the DVD drive failed. It now appears the reason neither are working may all be due to a corruption in the Windows registry.

The DVD drive had had an intermittent problem with the eject button for a long time. Then, a few weeks ago, even when we could get disks in nothing would happen. So I bought an LG Blue-ray/DVD drive as a replacement/upgrade.

Just before removing the old drive I wondered about whether I should uninstall it in Windows. After a little research I concluded this was not necessary. However when I glanced at the drive under 'Hardware profiles' I noticed a little yellow exclamation mark next to the drive listing.

In the past I've dealt with yellow question marks, which were always solved by fixing the driver - but the "!" was a first for me. After following through with the suggested 'search for solutions' feature I got some info from the Windows website which spoke about an error in the registry.

I thought no more about it.

I then replaced the old drive with the BD drive. (NB DVD was on an HDD cable, new drive on SATA 2.) Lo and behold it doesn't work. When I look in 'Computer' the drive doesn't appear and when I check out 'Hardware profiles' it is listed, but the same old yellow "!" is there. (Only difference is a difference code via 'search for solutions' - but it still refers to a registry error.)

The only other thing I can say is that the Windows driver that installed itself was dated 2001. That certainly doesn't sound like a Blue-ray driver. Nevertheless the booklet that came with the drive says the driver should install itself automatically from standard drivers. And when I checked the manufacturer's website I found the drive, but no driver download.

I'd be so grateful for help. So would my son who bought the latest Need for Speed a couple of days ago & can't install it (or play anything for that matter!).

Footnote: I ran a registry checker, but it found no errors.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:16 26 Nov 08

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
(This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)
click here
Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.
This utility is only intended for Windows® XP, but also appears to work for Vista.
You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

or
Run regedit and navigate to registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

click here

Stuartli 19:21 26 Nov 08

Optical drives, including Blu-Ray models, only require the basic Windows CDROM driver, which should be installed automatically by Windows on Finding New Hardware.

A guide which may help you:

click here

The ability of rewriters to burn to disks is controlled by third party burning software such as Nero.

The Belarussian Mafia 19:25 26 Nov 08

Fruit Bat: You are a genius.

I've repaired just about everything on a PC apart from the registry. Being largely self-taught (via PC Advisor, etc.) I've always feared going near the registry. You always hear how it's one of the last preserves of the 'experts'. So a utility was just what the doctor ordered.

I'm off top download it now.

(I think I'll turn Windows restore on temporarily, just to be safe. I normally have it turned off to ensure maximum PC performance for my kids' games.)

The Belarussian Mafia 19:29 26 Nov 08

Stuartli: Many thanks for that additional info. The drive came with loads of decent software. Now I can see why.

PS If anyone's wondering why they haven't heard from me in here for a good 2 years +, yes, you guessed it: I got a Mac laptop. (If only they were a decent platform for gaming Microsoft would be for the chop, if you ask me. ;-)

The Belarussian Mafia 21:12 26 Nov 08

Fruit Bat: Hi 5!!!

It worked. Thank you so much.

The forum strikes again...

Awesome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…