DVD Drive Unusable for music or dvds.

diesel1948 11:45 AM 13 Jul 13

I am running a dell dimension 9200 on windows7 ultimate. I don't put DVDS in very often. The other day I did and it did not play. I then tried a music disc and that never worked. Could this be something that I have done or is it just the player gone bump. Any advice on how to check this out please. Terry.

rdave13 12:33 PM 13 Jul 13
  diesel1948 13:07 PM 13 Jul 13

Regret to say Dave it did not work.

wee eddie 13:34 PM 13 Jul 13

Replacement DVD Drives are available for £20 or less and are simple to replace

wee eddie 13:39 PM 13 Jul 13

Here's how: - Instructions and a Video There are many more on YouTube

rdave13 15:42 PM 13 Jul 13

Another thing to try is to open Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM, right click the drive and select uninstall. Click yes to the warning. At the top then click the Action tab and select 'Scan for hardware changes'. Close Device Manager when completed. Try the drive now.

diesel1948 16:56 PM 13 Jul 13

That did not resolve the problem Dave, I also found when I put camera sd card in to slot it did nothing also. but when I connected card to a little integral usb key and put it into usb slot the pictures downloaded to computer. Could this be linked? By the way when disc gets put into dvd drive it makes noise like juddering. Also nothing comes up on screen, like choices. Thanks for info on Eddie on new drive, I think that may be next move.

Jollyjohn 19:14 PM 13 Jul 13

Does the drive read a data disc? If not then it is probably time to replace it.

diesel1948 00:41 AM 15 Jul 13

No John it does not read anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week