DVD drive stopped working

The Belarussian Mafia 20:15 18 Oct 04

Last time I watched a DVD the film randomly froze for a few moments throughout the film. It will now not even read CDs. I get the message "Device not ready/accessible, etc". I'm assuming the thing has died a death (even though it's only a couple of years old). Is there anything I might be able to check or do before dumping the thing? (Incidentally this one has lasted a lot longer than the last three, so I assume these things are generally short-lived...)

fly2hi 20:31 18 Oct 04

Don't dump it just yet. Most likely software preventing access to it.
Mine turned out to be IN-CD software which I uninstalled and everything now works. Could be coincidence though so don't hold your breath.

john-232317 20:53 18 Oct 04

I read somewhere that they use different lasers to read DVD and CD, so maybe not a laser problem, must be drive not spinning up. Cream crackered.....

The Belarussian Mafia 21:01 18 Oct 04

fly2hi - I agree that a software conflict is often the cause (I have dealt with such cases a few times), however I don't even have rewriter sofware running at the moment. dadyassa - thanks for cheering me up. I fear you're probably right, though.

john-232317 21:12 18 Oct 04

Sorry mate but thats what it sounds like, take it out and give it a vacuum out and try again.

Robotic_Rob 21:26 18 Oct 04

i dont think that is it. As both my cd and dvd drives are acting funny and at the moment my pc says i have a dvd drive that i dont have. i think its got something to do with these microsoft updates. i aint updated in a while, but my pc now reads that i have sp2 updates n now my drives are acting funny. and they are 4 months old(along with my pc).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…