dvd drive says disk is full

have'nt a clue 15:56 23 Jan 06

Please can some tell me, why my dual layer dvd writer in my hewlett packard pc is telling me that the cd is not blank when the disc is infact blank, I'm am trying to make a recovery sytem backup disc

Totally-braindead 16:06 23 Jan 06

Either the disk is not blank and you've got them mixed up or the DVD writer does not like this particular brand of CD (in which case trying another make may cure it) ot the other though is you may be trying to record on a CDRW disk in which case it probably needs formatted.

have'nt a clue 16:10 23 Jan 06

phillips dvd+rw is the make I have tried 5 disks

Totally-braindead 18:54 23 Jan 06

Have you tried formatting the disk. RW disks need to be formatted.

tony58 19:00 23 Jan 06

sorry for jumping in, but how do you format a disk .tony58

David4637 20:15 23 Jan 06

You don't need to format a CDRW. Only need to if you are using it like a floppy disc. The UDF software to format it can cause serious probs - if in doubt do NOT use it. David

Totally-braindead 20:27 23 Jan 06

Can't argue with you about this David4637 as I never use them, too unreliable and with CDRs being so cheap its not worth the effort. Thought you did have to format them, my mistake.

Totally-braindead 20:35 23 Jan 06

Maybe it doesn't like philips disks, I'm not saying theres anything wrong with the disks but certain writers do not like certain makes of disk. Get one of another make and try it, alternatively see the website for your DVD writer manufacturer, are you sure your DVD writer is compatible with + disks. I am slightly confused, you said at the start it was a CD then you said you were using philips DVD+RW disks. Which is it? And as crx1600 has asked what writing software do you have?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced