DVD Drive reading DVD's but not CD roms on laptop

crimbo 12:01 09 Oct 03

Since yesterday the DVD drive on my laptop will read DVD's, but not CD_Roms, either data or music. It will read any type of DVD disc, either film or data. I have tried system restore and even Drive image restore to no avail. All suggestions gratefully received!

crimbo 14:57 09 Oct 03

I should add that i'm using Win XP home

BarryKeith 15:11 09 Oct 03

DVD drives use separate lasers for CD's and DVD's due to the difference between the media, it is possible that the laser for CD's has become misaligned or just stopped working. To find out which, you could try burning a cd and see if it is warm when finished. If it doesn't work or comes out as cool as when you put it in, then you can be reasonably certain that the laser has died and you will need to replace the drive.

crimbo 17:26 09 Oct 03

It's not a Re-writer, so you think i'll need to get it replaced?

BarryKeith 17:28 09 Oct 03

Seems probable, can you try it on a freinds computer? that would tell you for sure.

crimbo 17:34 09 Oct 03

Because it's on a notebook, it's not the sort of thing i'll be attempting myself, i'll have to track down a laptop repair Guy!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…