DVD Drive question it won't play some DVDs

Koochy 17:50 11 Oct 06

Can anybody help please my DVD drive won't play some DVD movies. It is mainly newer movies i have the problems with, When i insert the disc and close the drawer it spins up okay and the light flashes then it just dies if i click on the "my computer icon" and go to the drive it just says DVD-ram drive if i left click and go to properties it says the disc is empty i have tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them and i don't know where to go from here as the discs play okay in my external DVD drive conected via usb 2
The discs i am using are original region 2 discs and the DVD drive is set to region 2.
DVD drive model HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-4164B

XP sp2 with all updates.
WMP 11
Nero show time

Koochy

postie24 18:00 11 Oct 06

what dvd software are you using to play them?

postie24 18:02 11 Oct 06

try this if all else fails click here

Koochy 18:07 11 Oct 06

Thanks for the quick reply. I have Full Nero suite including Show time, Windows media player 11 and i don't have any problems playing most DVDs it only seems to be the newer ones the drive doesn't even attempt to play them and it says the disc 0 bytes on it and 0 bytes remaining so i don't think this will be a software problem.

Koochy

Koochy 18:42 11 Oct 06

^

postie24 18:56 11 Oct 06

Might be a laser prob if your if your external drive plays them ok.Not sure why its the newer dvds its having probs with tho.

Koochy 19:06 11 Oct 06

The thing is it has no problems at all with any other discs DVD+/-R or CDR/RW and it also has no problems with old DVDs so i did't know if it was something to do with copyrights.

Koochy

Koochy 19:07 11 Oct 06

ihave tried looking for a firmware update but can't find a one.

Koochy

Totally-braindead 19:11 11 Oct 06

The only thing I can think of is that since it only effects newer disks it is a newer copy protection problem. If it wasn't then it would effect the old ones as well I would have thought.

Koochy 19:14 11 Oct 06

Thanks for that Totalyy-braindead in this world of the copyright theif it gets harder and harder for honest law abiding people to watch a movie on there laptop if this is a copyright issue.

K

Koochy 19:19 11 Oct 06

Sorry it's not in the laptop it's in the desk top it has been another long day.
Sorry if this has caused any confusion.

Koochy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced