DVD drive problem

kimtrnc 21:25 PM 09 Apr 11
Answered

My desktop has always been frail. Latest glitch - need to install new software: system has decided not to work properly, specifically CD/DVD writer. Green light on the drive flashes, and the program begins to install, and then hangs. I know this software is ok, because I installed it on another system. (Two licences for Abilty 5...not a pirate!) Is there some way that I can copy data from the DVD to a USB stick and install from there? Also, my front USB ports no longer work, although the one at the back of the desktop does. I should say that I dual boot Win7 and XP, and both have the same problem. Help, please?

lotvic 23:26 PM 09 Apr 11

It should work ok. I would try copying the contents of dvd to the usb stick and then browse to the Abilty 5 setup.exe to start the install.

You can do the copying to usb stick on your other pc as you have a DVD drive problem on your frail :) pc

Hold down the shift key when you insert the Abilty 5 DVD that will stop it autorunning and then you can just browse to it in Windows Explorer and select all the files and copy to usb stick.

kimtrnc 06:45 AM 10 Apr 11
Answer

Why does my response not post, please?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…