DVD drive problem

blake66 20:57 18 Dec 07

I have an (LG) DVD drive that refuses to open! tried reinstalling and updating driver to no avail. Any ideas please (had it less than 2 years by the way).

Thanks

Crash 23:30 18 Dec 07

Is it trying to open e.g. do you hear a clicking sound if you press the eject button?

blake66 00:56 19 Dec 07

no Crash, hear nothing

MCE2K5 00:59 19 Dec 07

Have you had a look inside to see if any cables have come loose (Data or Power).

blake66 12:16 19 Dec 07

To be honest MC no, but will today and maybe try another cable, Thanks

Technotiger 12:33 19 Dec 07

There is a small hole on the front of the drive, this is for emergency opening of the tray. Use a straightened fairly thick paper-clip and push gently but firmly into that hole - the tray will then open.
Make sure first, that the drive is not spinning.

LimestoneRock 12:34 19 Dec 07

Have you tried putting a pin or straightened paper clip into the small hole on the outside of the case of the drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:47 19 Dec 07

How are you tryng to open?
Button on front or software eject button?

Programs like NERO will lock the drive until burning is complete.

Reboot the PC and see if the drive will open when you are booting back up.

blake66 12:48 19 Dec 07

No L, but will try thanks.

Stuartli 14:14 19 Dec 07

Check that the cables and leads are all firmly connected.

The only driver required by optical drives is the basic Windows CDROM driver which is installed automatically after Finding New Hardware - the functions are controlled, in the case of rewriters, by burning software such as Nero.

blake66 15:24 19 Dec 07

Guys, checked the leads and one must have been loose (the first IA I know). Seems to be working ok although I can't say the same for my brain. Thanks for all your help anyway, much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…