DVD drive problem

Josquius 10:47 04 Apr 06

I have just bought ES:Oblivion and am trying to install it however my DVD player just won't read it- the entire computer locks up and it grabs loads of processor and memory but nothing happens.
Checking by right clicking on the dvd drive and when I restart the computer it seems it is just being treat as a cd drive for some reason- how would I go about actually installing it as a DVD drive?
It is a samsung if that makes a difference.

SANTOS7 10:54 04 Apr 06

Does your PC meet the minimum requirements for the game......

Josquius 10:59 04 Apr 06

If that was it then the installation would tell me so- I can't get to the installation.

I have downloaded a driver for my dvd drive it contains BS14.obj and fromdos.exe . Fromdos.exe does nothing- I assume from the name it must be installed from DOS?
How would I do this? I am on XP...

SANTOS7 11:18 04 Apr 06

The downloaded driver is a firmware flash and if it is the wrong one or the install was disturbed you may well render your DvD drive Useless, did it work OK before the update.
You might want to try and install another game to see if it will install that...

Stuartli 11:42 04 Apr 06

A CD-ROM drive and a DVD-ROM drive are, for all intents and purposes, the same thing - the main difference is each laser's wavelength reading. A DVD drive has two lasers, the other being for CDs.

Windows uses the basic CDROM driver for both a CD and DVD drive and installs it automatically; a DVD-ROM drive uses a decoder (hardware or software) to achieve its primary function.

The differences between computer disks media and domestic media and how information is stored is explained, for instance, at:

click here

click here

click here

There are literally dozens of other such websites.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017