DVD drive problem

Dumble452 22:34 23 Sep 05

I have a LG Super Multi DVD Drive GSA-4081B that was working fine yesterday evening. Today it will not recognise any disk. Coincidentally all my System Restore points disappeared. Device Manager says the DVD drive is working properly and there are no other hardware issues highlighted. I have done a virus scan, a malware scan and Adware scan, with nothing found other than a few tracking cookies. I have also uninstalled the driver and let XP reinstall the drive. I am now lost for further ideas. If it wasn't for the System Restore issue I would just have assumed that the drive had died. Any ideas as to where I go from here?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:54 23 Sep 05

Try cleaning with a lens cleaner,

may be coincidence that drive has died and your system restore points have vanished.

You appear to have done most of what is possible, you could uninstall the IDE channel the drive is on and reinstall.

Try a repair of XP to get system restore back

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

Dumble452 00:17 24 Sep 05

Can't run the lens cleaner because the drive does not recognise that it has a disk inserted. I'm pretty sure the IDE channel is OK because the original CD drive is on the same channel and that works ok. I've tried the sfc /scannow but it keeps telling me that the version of XP on my computer is newer than the version on the disk. This is strange because it is the disk I used to install WindowsXP. I've got the SP2 disk and it won't accept that either. I'm coming to the conclusion that the drive is kaput. I'll have a look inside the case tomorrow and make sure that the connections are OK and that I didn't dislodge anything when I installed my soundcard earlier this week. Thanks.

Dumble452 00:35 24 Sep 05

For some unknown reason it has now come back to life. Have run the lens cleaner and will hope for the best. Will still check the connections later.

billbod 18:32 24 Sep 05

If you go into control panel/system/hardware/device manager,then scroll down to dvd/cd devices right click on your dvd driver and delete it.Reboot and windows will recognize a new device(your dvd drive),insert your dvd driver cd and let windows reinstall it.Hope this helps

freaky 18:42 24 Sep 05

I have got the same LG DVD Drive as Dumble452, there was no Driver supplied with it!

I have also had a problem with this DVD drive, if I leave a CD inside it, then it periodically starts to spin up for no reason. Only way I can stop this happening is leave it empty.

billbod 18:53 24 Sep 05

freaky
Try here

click here
and
click here

freaky 19:18 24 Sep 05

Thanks for the link.....just checked my model number, it's not the same as Dumble452.

Mine is the one reviewed in PCA....GSA-4163BA. A driver for this model is not listed on the LG link you supplied.

Dumble452 20:40 24 Sep 05

Mine doesn't need a separate driver its already provided as part of WinXP. All seems to be ok now so i'm going to tick this as resolved. I found out why System Restorer failed see separate thread click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…