dvd drive over network

Green Army 00:55 14 Apr 10

i heard that it is possible to use the dvd drive over a network. i have a netbook without dvd and would like to share the dvd drive on main computer. both computers are running windows 7

mgmcc 08:28 14 Apr 10

You don't say whether you already have the two computers networked and sharing Folders and Printer(s). If not, in the PC, go into the Network and Sharing Centre and make sure the network is set as a "Home Network". Then click the link at the left for "Change advanced sharing settings" and switch "On"...

- Network Discovery
- File & Printer Sharing
- Public Folder Sharing

Repeat this in the Netbook.

In the PC's "Computer" (My Computer), highlight and then right click your DVD drive, select "Share with > Advanced Sharing". In the Properties sheet that opens, click the Advanced Sharing button. In the next window, tick the box to "Share this folder" and then click the Permissions button. I'd suggest that you add your own name to the Users list and ideally you want to be logged on to both PC and Netbook with the same Username/Password.

In the Netbook's "Network" (My Network Places), you should then have access to the PC's DVD drive.

Strawballs 19:53 14 Apr 10

I do it with my sons netbook go to my computer on the machine with the drive right click shareing and set to share as easy as that.

Green Army 22:15 14 Apr 10

thanks mgmcc
and strawballs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…