Dvd drive not working in windows 7 32bit laptop

meb 14:56 21 Feb 10

my DVD drive is not recognising any discs
I upgraded to windows 7 a few weeks ago. I don't know if the problem is the security features on Win7 or if the problem is with the hardware. I don't really want to mess with the registry, buy a new drive until I know what is causing the problem

thanks for your help

Emm

User-1229748 14:58 21 Feb 10

have you gone into device manager to see if it is enabled or any yellow marks?

meb 15:21 21 Feb 10

Yes, sorry should have said, nothing obvious there also tried updating drivers but that didn't work either

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:49 21 Feb 10

I know you don't want to mess with the registry but that's the fix for this problem.

navigate to registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

meb 18:36 21 Feb 10

Hi Fruit Bat thankyou,
This is why I hate messing with registries. Have found my way to the folders you said. Have deleted the Lowerfilters, but can't see the Upperfilters. Does this matter.Don't seem to be able to enclose a screen shot.
thankyou

meb 18:44 21 Feb 10

Just been back to device manager to have another look and noticed the location is listed as
"Location 0 (Channel 0, Target 0, Lun 0)" I don't know if that affects Fruit Bats advice
thanks
Emm

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…