DVD drive not working help!

S&B 09:55 14 Feb 06

I have a mesh pc running xp with sp2, about 3 years old. I dont really use the DVD drive often, but when I did go to play a dvd the drive just clicked and whirred away. The screen would hang and I could not get the dvd to play and in my computer it would not recognise a disc in the drive. I tried removing the ide channels in device manager and rebooting which didnt help. I ran a program from the microsoft site that concluded I may have a malfunctioning dvd drive. So I went out and bought a new Liteon one.

I have installed this, ensuring all connections are good and the jumper setting is master and my cd drive is set to slave. The Bios is the same. I have reinstalled the dvd software and now the pc will recognise a disc is in the drive but will not play.

Any ideas where im going wrong? Your help is much appreciated!

Hertz Van Rentyl 09:58 14 Feb 06

Is autoplay configured for each type of content.

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:00 14 Feb 06

If its a movie DVD you need a player to view it, sorry if I am stating the obvious but not sure what kind of operation you are attempting.

S&B 10:03 14 Feb 06

Yep autoplay is configured and I have Windvd installed. Just basically trying to play a movie!

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:10 14 Feb 06

Have you tried more than one disc only some discs are a bit touchy sometimes especially if they have a fingerprint on or something.

S&B 10:12 14 Feb 06

Yep tried several, all region 2 same as the software loaded. Even music cd's it wont play.

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:21 14 Feb 06

Check your registry as a value may need changing from 0 to 1
the registry key is viewable here:
click here

S&B 13:18 14 Feb 06

The registry was already at 1, but I changed to 0 and rebooted had same problem. On that link was a couple of other things to change which I did, rebooted no success. I changed your recommendatino back to 1 and no success.

Thanks for the suggestion, any other ideas?

Hertz Van Rentyl 15:50 14 Feb 06

Only the usual stuff I am afraid. Run sfc /scannow, scan for nasties,
uninstall drive in device manager and reboot, should detect drive and reload drivers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:10 14 Feb 06

click here

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error
Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software.
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes. click here

zarobian 17:36 14 Feb 06

Since you have tried various metods and even substituted the dive I think you may have faulty Ribbon cable or a dead port.
Before you get too disappointed please try the following simple checks:

1.In the Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers double click on the secondary controller assuming you are using it for the purpose and select Advance Settings. Make sure Transfer Mode is selected as DMA.
2.Again double click your DVD Drive(in the Device Manager) and from the opened window select DVD Region. See that the current Region is selected as Region 2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…