DVD drive not working

ronec 22:53 PM 28 Nov 11

I think my dvd drive is/has packed up on my Acer laptop. It is 4 years old. I bought some new blank dvd's recently and tried to burn a film. It would not burn giving reasons like 'No dvd files to burn' even though I had loaded the 'video TS' files. Anyway I decided not to bother burning it and watched it off my computer. This week I burned a couple of cd's with no problem. I tried again today to burn a dvd, but without success. The drive just kept spinning up and stopping, sometimes making buzzing noises. I uninstalled and re-installed the drivers but it still will not write. I have just tried a dvd in it and it will not play. I am presuming it has broken. Does it sound like it has to any of you experts. I have tried 2 or 3 different burning softwares. I am using DVD+R discs which I have used before.

Strawballs 01:42 AM 29 Nov 11

They use 2 seperate lasers for DC and DVD so it could be just the DVD one that has failed, changing drives in Laptops can be a pain so an external could be the answer, unless you want to give it a go.

ronec 16:32 PM 29 Nov 11

Hi Strawballs. Thanks for your reply. Sorry I am late replying. Yes I was wondering whether it might be easier to get an external drive. We have another laptop if we need to cart one around. Back to the internet and search for a dvd writer now then. Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:50 PM 29 Nov 11

Would be very tempted to go into device manager and uninstall the drive then reboot the machine and let windows find and reinstall the drive, then see if it recognises it as a DVD drive before spending any money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…