DVD drive not working

skylark101 01:47 20 Sep 09

I have a HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook pc which is fitted with a slimtype DVD+/-RW A DS8AIH ATA drive device.
I wanted to create some recovery disks and bought a pack of DVD-R disks and began burning the first recovery disk when I get the message "error detected during disc verification" and would go no further, I then tried a DVD+R disk and then the message : The disk in this drive is not blank, please insert a blank disc. (the disk was a brand new blank) I have also had 'verifying disc in drive' to then get the message 'there is no disk in the drive! the drive will read pre-recorded disks, but will burn absolutely nothing. Has anyone come across this before? and if so, what is the fix?

100andthirty 07:27 20 Sep 09

you could try a CD cleaner disc. As far as I know the read and write lasers are separate. A drive can fail to write but still read.

sharpamat 08:07 20 Sep 09

I guess that as you are creating recovary discs this is a fairly new system? if so it will be covered by warantee.

Run a full hardware test ( Details will be in help & support or on HPs website ) any failours inform HP Use Email so you can keep all details.

save all your personal data to an external scource just in case you need it.

Untill you have created those recovary discs dont close it with HP. Because it was verification that failed your system may have registered it as the discs have been made.

sharpamat 08:07 20 Sep 09

You were not useing DVD rewritables by any chance

skylark101 12:47 20 Sep 09

The system is just over a year old, so not covered by warranty, soon after I bought it, I changed jobs and didn't really need a notebook so it has hardly ever been used, that is why I have not yet created the recovery disks, this is the first time I have used the drive to burn something and it just won't have it. I have used DVD-R disks and DVD+R disks.
I will try the hardware test on HP site, thanks!

skylark101 12:48 20 Sep 09

The system is just over a year old, so not covered by warranty, soon after I bought it, I changed jobs and didn't really need a notebook so it has hardly ever been used, that is why I have not yet created the recovery disks, this is the first time I have used the drive to burn something and it just won't have it. I have used DVD-R disks and DVD+R disks.
I will try the hardware test on HP site, thanks!

KremmenUK 14:21 20 Sep 09

Do a registry search (RegEdit) and see if you have the 'upperfilters' and 'lowerfilters' key present.

If so, delete them.

Stuartli 16:22 20 Sep 09

A DVD rewriter has two lasers, one for CDs and one for DVDs, as different wavelengths are used to read and write.

skylark101

Try Uninstalling the drive in Device Manager, Rebooting and allowing Windows to Find New Hardware and Reinstall the basic CDROM driver.

Does it work with CDs?

If so, and not with DVDs, the DVD laser may well have packed up on the burn side.

I had to replace a two-year-old DVD Rewriter recently for the very same reason - it would read and burn CD disks, but only read DVDs.

Rewriters are less robust than their ROM equivalents due to their wider role, which is why I use a DVD-ROM drive (a seven-year-old Pioneer 116) to play DVDs or install new software amd leep the rewriter purely for burning.

My very first CD rewriter was bought around the same time as the Pioneer and was still working perfectly when I decided I really needed the DVD equivalent.

skylark101 18:21 20 Sep 09

Thanks stuartli, just checked the drive again, and, yes it does burn to CD, so, it looks like the DVD burner has packed in without it ever having being used! so much for so called reliable technology! unfortunately if I want to back up restore to CD it is going to take 16 disks!its a tough world.

sharpamat 19:27 20 Sep 09

Depending where you obtained this from some ( like J Lewis ) actually gave a 2 year warantee on this model.

You can always get a set of recovary discs from HP about £30.

Before you write off that drive, check thar its not a problem with the recovary software on your system. If you have preinstalled software such as cyberlink, Try writing to a DVD with that.

Stuartli 22:18 20 Sep 09

The very latest and fastest LG/Samsung G22 DVD rewriters cost about £16 from Scan - I bought one from a local shop for £21 as adding delivery to buying from Scan would probably have been more expensive.

I also had same day use within 10 minutes after arriving back home.

Obviously in your case a notebook DVD rewriter will be more expensive, so it's worth doing a bit of Googling...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…