DVD Drive not working

ventanas 08:39 06 Jun 05

It's on my daughter's Acer laptop. Will not recognise any cd or dvd. When I try I am invited to insert a disc.

I have gone throught the procedure of removing and redecting without success, so must now assume that the drive is finished. I don't know much about laptop hardware, so please could someone advise me. Are these things brand specific or will any make fit? If any will do where can I get one. Grateful for any help.

Diodorus Siculus 08:51 06 Jun 05

As you likely know, going external will be the quickest and easiest solution.

Laptopbits Home Page
click here

Laptop spares, notebook components, displays, main boards, processors, case parts new & used
click here

ventanas 09:04 06 Jun 05

Morning Dio, thanks for the response. I think you may well be right with the external option, because I can't find any of these advertised anywhere. Just about every other component, but no optical drives, even on the two links you give.

There must be some available somewhere. It's very easy to remove and replace, just slides out.

Thanks again.

DieSse 10:49 06 Jun 05

Sometimes a problem can be caused by the connections - if you haven't alraedy, slide it out a dn push firmly back in two or three times.

Also look in Device Manager and check that it's shown as installed, and without warning marks.

ventanas 11:53 06 Jun 05

Thanks, but that was the first thing I thought of. Device Manager says its working properly. I assume the connections must be ok, otherwise it would not have been redetected after removing it.

Still looking for somewhere where I can buy one of these. I have realised that I have do have a spare dvd-rom for a desktop. I suppose I could buy a caddy, put the spare drive in it, and connect through USB. Probably the cheapest solution.

ventanas 11:56 06 Jun 05

Just had a thought about that, will an optical drive fit into a caddy?

SEASHANTY 12:01 06 Jun 05

CD/DVD enclosure from Planet Micro - Third one down from top
click here

ventanas 12:07 06 Jun 05

Many thanks. I think call it solved now and ordr one of those.

DieSse 12:22 06 Jun 05

"Just had a thought about that, will an optical drive fit into a caddy?"

Yes, in most of them (all the ones I've bought would be OK)

SEASHANTY 15:28 06 Jun 05

Primary consideration for an enclosure for CD/DVD is that it must have an open end to allow for opening of the CD drawer. Many of them just made for HDD's are closed at both ends - fans at one end. ON/OFF. Led and USB/Firewire sockets at the other. Many of them are unsuitable for optical drives.

SEASHANTY 15:40 06 Jun 05

The USB2/Firewire enclosure is also available at Blankdiscshop. Says suitable for both HDD and CD.
It's also cheaper than Planet Micro
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…