dvd drive not working

ted bear 19:49 07 Apr 04

i have a samsung sm-308b cd/dvd drive but although it plays cd's it nolonger recognises or plays dvd's. whenever i try to play a dvd its as if there is no dvd in. please help! iv checked device manager and everything seems ok. there no exclamation marks anyway
ted

Giggle n' Bits 23:51 08 Apr 04

play the DVD's it may be called Power DVD, WinDVD, Soft DVD but only do this if you have the disk as I then say reinstall the software and then try it.

GaT7 00:06 09 Apr 04

You could also try a DVD lens cleaner disc.

ted bear 04:10 09 Apr 04

i have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling power dvd i have also reflashed my samsung hardware in dos and tried a different graphics card but still no joy with the dvd's. when i tried to load one dvd i got a message saying that my graphics card tv out was open and the protection on the dvd wouldnt let it play. i have nothing attached to the tv out on my graphics card. thanks for trying anyway.

ventanas 08:29 09 Apr 04

Quite a number of DVD drives have two lenses, one for CD's and another for DVD's. Could be that the DVD lens has gone. I had the same problem a few months back. Changed the drive and cured it. You can pick up a new drive for less than £20.00 now.

barnacarry 08:52 09 Apr 04

I also had problems with this make and found the following the only way to get to work -
go to My Computer and right click. Go to Properties/hardware and click on Add Hardware and follow instructions, clicking on your Samsung dvd player and this should fix it. A roundabout way but Samsungs are a pain. Good Luck.

The BB 09:15 09 Apr 04

From your error message that your system was 'open' and would not let it play, If you have been using different region DVDs there is usually a limit (around 5)on the number of times that you can swap and then it locks to the last region. Have you tried several DVD's and have you tried the last DVD that did run OK?

ted bear 12:39 09 Apr 04

thanks for all your efforts but unfortunately no joy yet. iv used a cleaner- i only used region 2 dvd's and i dont want to buy another player as i will probably have same problem.tried adding hardware - says everything is ok - problem seems to be graphic card based as both cards iv tried crashed when i attempt to view it with message run a dll as an app has encountered a problem and needs to close. any ideas ? they are both geforce 2 mx400 cards.

ted bear 00:52 11 Apr 04

fixed graphics card but dvd drive still wont recognise a dvd

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 01:01 11 Apr 04

Mine had same prob put a DVD in and nada but runs music and data cd's like anyones buisness i cleaned mine as well with a lens cleaner finally decided the dvd lens had packed in so now i use it for music and it works great im getting a new one soon so not to bothered.Glad u fixed the g card problem.

Regards.

ted bear 10:37 11 Apr 04

see run a dll as app thread for details of how problem was fixed - basically updated ad-aware and then ran it in customized and picked everything - it found 16 spyware that that normal scan didnt find.
dvd player works fine now
thanks to everyone for their help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…