DVD drive not recognised

Skeletor 23:00 04 Oct 09

I have a new PC with an Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard. The MB has a 40-1 pin PRI EIDE connector.

My question: Should it be possible to connect an older Lite-on DVD RW ATAPI/E-IDE Drive (Model DH-20A4P) to the MB?

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work...But, I can't get the drive to show in "Computer" or in the BIOS.

The drive is set to Master, the correct connector is connected to the MB and drive (I've checked and double checked). I've tried a different cable...still, no joy.

The drive has power - the draw opens and closes OK.

Any help much appreciated.

Steve

Vista Home Premium SP2

howard64 06:26 05 Oct 09

it could be that if the pc came with just sata drives connected that the ide drive[s] are disabled in the bios. You should be able to find this in the bios and alter it. Often pressing the delete key at startup gets you into the bios.

Skeletor 17:50 05 Oct 09

Thanks howard64

The problem is semi solved.

I was expecting to find a disable/enable option on the main page of the bios.
I checked the advanced page and it was there (avoided the advanced page before)

The drive now shows in "Computer" and I can open to view the contents of a CD/DVD.

However, I can't get a DVD to play. WMP opens and then hangs forever with the DVD spinning frantically. I have to remove the DVD to be able to close WMP.

I also can't copy data from DVDs to the hard drive.

If I try to erase or format a DVD-RW or add data with InCD, it tells me to insert a disc.

So while Vista now recognises the drive, there's nothing I can do with it.

I downloaded and installed the latest firmware for the drive.

Any further help appreciated.

Steve

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:21 05 Oct 09

Sounds as if the laser realignment or dvd laser has failed.

Skeletor 00:32 06 Oct 09

Fruit Bat,

Yep! I think you're right. I tried an old NEC RW ND 2500 DVD drive. This seems to work OK.

I'll mark this as "resolved"

thanks again guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…