dvd drive not reading dvdr discs

styven 14:07 12 Sep 04

Hi there, i have an nes2500a dvdrom/writer, it will read cd's, dvd roms fine. I recenly burned a load of photo's to dvd r disc (bulkpaq orange dvdr 4.7gb), according to nero the copy has been succesfull, but when i put it into the drive it is not "seen".

In my computer there are two drives available it is not seen in either.

home built pc

sis motherboard
celeron 1.8
256 ram
nec cd/dvd writer
40gb hdd

styven 14:16 12 Sep 04

operating system is xp home.

JonnyTub 14:30 12 Sep 04

make sure the finalise disk option is ticked off. although it seems strange that the drive that created it cant read it.

JonnyTub 14:32 12 Sep 04

is the disk "readable" straight after burning and without ejecting it?

styven 15:02 12 Sep 04

the disc is not readable even without ejecting it first, i have just tried again and nero says the burn is successfull. I have two apparent drive as detailed.........

drive d (cd)
drive i (dvd)

if i put in a dvd rom (data, demo disk) this opens in drive d, so i take it that the dvdr should open in this drive also, but no go!! when i put the disc in drive d in my computer seems to see a dvdr as it says dvdr under the ppicture of a disc but not the data. I don't think the data has burned to the disc, what do you think?

Rwstill 15:54 12 Sep 04

You could try to burn a few mb of stuf, if it's burning look at the disc there should be a distinct difference in the burnt part and the unburnt part.
Try it on a dvd rw not to spoil a disc.
Ralph.

styven 16:08 12 Sep 04

the first disc i tried was having a lot of mb put on it about 700. can't see any "burn marks" on any of the four discs i have tried.
if i put a blank cd in drive d tells me it is 702mb
if i put a blank dvdr in drived says 0 bytes
if i click on dvd drive i, it says "insert disc"

You may find the discs you're using are not compatible with the drive.

I've only had a DVD burner for a couple of months now and had pretty much the same problems as you are experiencing. DVD-RW discs seemed to be OK, but not the DVD-R.

The DVD-R discs I originally purchased used a ProdiscS03 dye and I must have made about 8 coasters with these, trying various options and burning software.

However, discs with RitekG04 dye so far seem to be OK. This dye does seem to be recommended on many sites as being stable & compatible with many drives.

You can download this DVD Identifier click here to find out who the manufacture is & the dye used.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…