Dvd drive not reading discs?

Roadgiant 21:21 17 Jul 09

I wonder if anyone can help me?
My Pc has 2 DVD drives installed, both of them are Samsung sh223qs until a couple of days ago both worked fine, suddenly one of the drives doesn't seem to recognise that it has a disc in it.
If I put a disc in the light on the drive flckers as if it is reading the disc, the hard drive light on the PC flickers as if something is happening.

If I click on the drive it comes up with the message D:\Application not found.
Device manager says "This device is working properly"
Nero info tool says there is no disc inserted (which of course there is).

I have tried different discs, Cds and Dvds which all work perfectly well in my other identical drive. The PC is still under warranty (Cougar Extreme which I am very pleased with),if this problem can't be resolved I will contact them for assistance, but thought I would try here first.
Many thanks
RG

Technotiger 21:27 17 Jul 09

The defective drive might simply need cleaning - the lasers are quite sensitive. Try a DVD/CD laser cleaning Disc in the drive, they cost about a fiver, but are re-usable many times over.

Wak 10:56 18 Jul 09

Just out of interest, they had some in the Pound shop last week!!!!

Roadgiant 15:39 18 Jul 09

Thanks for the advice,I have just tried a Lens cleaner,which unfortunately has made no difference.
RG

Technotiger 16:27 18 Jul 09

Sorry that did not work - I reckon your next choice is to contact Cougar.

Stuartli 16:32 18 Jul 09

Lens cleaners are rarely of any use - lasers are well protected and only exposed for the brief period the tray is open.

Try going to Device Manager and Uninstalling both drives.

Reboot and Windows should Find New Hardware, Reinstall the basic CDROM drivers (all that is required for an optical drive) and reassign the drive letters.

The means to burn disks is controlled by programs such as Nero.

Roadgiant 18:51 18 Jul 09

Thanks again for the replies.
Just tried Stuarti's advice, still have the same problem, I'm beginning to think that the drive has developed a fault, anybody any other suggestions?
Thanks RG

rdave13 19:05 18 Jul 09

Give Cougar a ring.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 18 Jul 09

check the drive data cables are fully inserted at both the drive end and motherboard socket.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:20 18 Jul 09

check the drive data cables are fully inserted at both the drive end and motherboard socket.

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
(This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)
click here
Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.
This utility is only intended for Windows® XP, but also appears to work for Vista.
You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.
click here works for vista or XP

or
Run regedit and navigate to registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

click here

MAT ALAN 19:21 18 Jul 09

> 1. Run regedit (Registry Editor)
> 2. Navigate to:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerMountPoints2
> 3. Remove or delete MountPoint2 key completely and close Registry
> Editor.
> 4. restart your PC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…