DVD drive makes CD drive disappear

sunny staines 21:25 17 May 07

The pc has a CD RW fitted on the last socket of the ribbon and works OK. Just fitted a DVD drive to the secondry middle socket on the ribbon and the result is the pc cannot see the DVD drive and CAN NOW NOT see the CD RW drive either as soon as i unplug the DVD drive the CD RW becomes visible again any adice please the motherboard only has one IDE socket so they have to share a ribbon.

mikeben121 21:29 17 May 07

Check the jumpers on the back of the drives.

These are like a switch, the one on the end must be set to master the other to slave.

sunny staines 21:38 17 May 07

the DVD drive is a "pioneer DVD-113" the pioneer manuel on the web is poor and has no diagrams says master pin 1, slave pin 2. looking at the back of the drive i moved the jumper from pin1 to pin2 but made no difference neither dive showed in my computer or explorer. there was another jumper in pin 5 but from what i can make out this is region setting.

any other ideas please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:52 17 May 07

DVD must be master on end of cable
CDRW slave on middle

especially if you have 40 wire cable.

sunny staines 21:58 17 May 07

fruitbat
just in the process of swappingthem over the CDRW has clear jumper settings etched on the drive case.
trying the DVD on its own first awaiting reboot as i type

sunny staines 22:44 17 May 07

after setting up both drives in reverse master slave sequence had repeated crash stop errors. despite each drive being ok on its own.

stripped out both drives and cable and refitted again dvd master cdrw slave system now seems stable.
thanks all for helping, esp fruitbat who put me on the right road.

Stuartli 23:37 17 May 07

My DVD-ROM drive is at the end of the IDE cable and the DVD rewriter (which replaced a CD equivalent) is in the middle - the set up works as intended, with the Rewriter as Master and the DVD-ROM drive as Slave (with 40 wire cable!)

The best way to install them is to connect them one at a time and reboot in between to ensure that the basic Windows CDROM driver is installed for each optical drive.

sunny staines 00:16 18 May 07

stuartli thanks might explain why it was unstable for a little while. but got there in the end. the pc not even for me helping family member out by putting one together.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…