DVD drive has vanished

Fatsia japonica 10:34 23 Jan 03
  Fatsia japonica 10:34 23 Jan 03

I have searched the database but cant find the appropiate course of action, my problem is this--yesterday morning my DVD drive was working as normal, today its gone, its not listed on the start up screen (WIN XP) as slave to the CD writer as it should be, its not listed in my computer or device manager. I have checked all cables and ribbons all are fine. When the computer is 1st turned on the light flashes on the dvd drive but thats it.

Any ideas??

rmn 11:02 23 Jan 03

try new hardware wizard and see if it can find the drive.has it always been slave to the writer sometimes they dont like being on the same ide cable?

Fatsia japonica 11:05 23 Jan 03

yes have tried that, have even unplugged it and rebooted hoping that xp might find it but no luck, its always been slave to the CD and has not caused problems until now. Its a mystery to me.

rmn 11:19 23 Jan 03

if its always worked it maybe there is something wrong with the drive itself.try it on the cable by itself.if no joy do you have a friend whos computer you could try the drive in.if it doesnt work by itself on yours or a friends it would appear there is something wrong with the drive.darren

Fatsia japonica 11:22 23 Jan 03

Thats a good idea, I will try that now

Elrond 11:30 23 Jan 03

Did you introduce anything new to the system in the time between it working and not, hardware or software?

Fatsia japonica 11:39 23 Jan 03

Well thats interesting, I just swapped the cables around and disconnected the cd drive and lo and behold the dvd drive was recognised and worked fine, i then reconnected the cd drive as slave to the dvd and the DVD vanished again just leaving the cd drive, it seems as tho my puter suddenly has decided it will only recognise one drive at a time.

Elrond I did put a PCI video capture card in do you think this may have made a difference?

Fatsia japonica 11:40 23 Jan 03

Could it be that my 250watt power supply is insufficient to run all the hardware?

DeViAnT 11:40 23 Jan 03

It sounds like the BIOS, when the PC boots does it auto-detect drives (you can usually see this, if a picture appears during the POST hit ESC)?

Try manual detecting drives or enabled auto-detect.

If the BIOS can't see it then that's your problem, if Windows had an issue chances are it would appear but with an exclamation mark beside it, though saying that occasionally the DVD/CD-RW disappears on my laptop for no reason and a reboot brings it back.

This might not help though I hope it may be of some use.

Elrond 11:43 23 Jan 03

Most problems that occur are due to new H/W or S/W being introduced to the system. Try taking the vidoe capture ard out and see if the DVD drive comes back. It may be that they are trying to share resources and the capture card is winning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…