DVD Drive doesn't read

snowy30 18:38 20 May 07

I got this problem with my DVD Drive, it doesn't try reading any CDs or DVDs. I put a Windows Disc in then rebooted the computer and it is able to read it. But there is no indication of it reading any other discs I put in.

howard64 19:54 20 May 07

dvd drives have 2 lasers one for cds and one for dvd. Is it reading cds but not dvds? If so one of the lasers has died.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:17 20 May 07

Any error codes in device manager?

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
(This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)
click here
Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.
This utility is only intended for Windows® XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

or
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

skidzy 20:30 20 May 07

Basically the same as Fruit Bat /\0/\ with a little more advice.

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help

click here scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key ( if Vista Start search or windows+R )
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

.If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn. click here

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

snowy30 01:00 21 May 07

Ermmm I forgot to mention that I have a bit of a problem opening the drive as well. I checked in the Device Manager prior to the posting and it says the device is working properly.

snowy30 01:01 21 May 07

Sometimes it opens with one click, sometimes it don't

skidzy 06:36 21 May 07

Have you followed the above instructions ?

snowy30 18:21 21 May 07

That's the problem, there are no error codes to go by, Device Manager says it's working properly and it shows up in My Computer. I just pressed the eject button now and it opened, but if I want to eject it again it won't open because it hasn't tried scanning or looking for a disc.

And there are no Upper or LowerFilters to delete from the registery, in the name column it has Class, EnumPropPages32, Icon, Installer32, NoInstallClass, SilentInstall and TroubleShooter-0

snowy30 18:28 21 May 07

Oh and btw if it's knackered if I replace it with a DVD Rewriter will it work alongside the DVD Writer I already have in the computer? I was going to replace the DVD Writer with the Rewriter but if the DVD-ROM Drive is knackered then I'll replace that instead.

skidzy 18:34 21 May 07

Try resetting your DMA click here

snowy30 23:28 21 May 07

No luck! On pressing the eject it makes a faint noise, you can only hear by going quite close.

Could it be a faulty motor?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant