DVD drive disappeared after CD writer replaced

Tiscali 15:12 02 Jul 05

I had a CD writer as DVD drive D and a DVD drive as drive E. The CD writer packed up so I have replaced it. The new CD/DVD writer is still drive D but the DVD drive doesn't show as drive E. I have tried Add new hardware, rebooting, deleting the new CD/DVD writer in Devide Manager and rebooting, but no luck. New CD/DVD writer works fine and is set as the master just like the previous one. All CD writer software was uninstalled before new drive installed, and all new CD/DVD writer software has been installed after the new drive was installed. Any suggestions please? The new CD/DVD writer is an LG Super Multi DVD drive GSA-4163B.

SEASHANTY 15:31 02 Jul 05

If nothing is showing as "E" drive then I suspect you have probably dislodged the 40 pin IDE cable which connects to your drive. Either that or the Power cable is not fully inserted. They may look to be in but may not in fact be in far enough.

SEASHANTY 15:38 02 Jul 05

How to install a front loading drive
click here
You could also install the free utility DVDinfoPro on your PC click here

Tiscali 15:53 02 Jul 05

Not seated properly, fine now, many thanks Seashanty.

SEASHANTY 16:17 02 Jul 05

Glad it was an easily fixed problem. You will like the new LG GSA 4163 drive. I have two in different PC's and another in an external enclosure. Excellent drive for £30 from SVP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…