DVD drive content not seen - action??

compumac 11:49 23 Feb 07

I have a three year old PC and have found this morning that the content of a CD/DVD using the DVD rewriter drive is not seen in Explorer. You can see the icon for the drive but if a CD/DVD is inserted it does not see the contents.
I have spoken with the Medion Helpline who advised doing a factory restore, putting it back to the factory settings (of three years ago). I am extremely reluctant to do that as obviously the amount of time and effort putting all of the content of the last three years back on is horrendous. I would have thought that fitting a completely new drive would overcome the situation. Medion indicated that this is a software problem and that factory restore is the only way. If it is a software problem then I do in fact have a Ghost image of three weeks a go that can be put back on. Because of another problem I am considering put that back anyway.

I would have thought that a new drive would be the answer and would ask for comment in respect of this.

recap 12:05 23 Feb 07

If it's a software problem, is there not an update that may over come this issue?

compumac 12:10 23 Feb 07

Medion state that a factory restore is the ONLY option.I cannot believe that.

moorie- 15:17 23 Feb 07

have you another optical drive that works?ie a rom drive,this could narrow it down a bit,if its software or failed drive
what software did medion say was the problem?

skidzy 15:33 23 Feb 07

Might be of help click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:28 23 Feb 07

1. Clean the drive with a lns cleaner and clean the CD/DVD

2. unistall the drive in device manager and then reboot the PC.

3. Check data cable is fully pushed home at drive and motherboard

4. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

5. Fit a new drive and or cable.

compumac 22:37 23 Feb 07

I have tried to clean the drive with a lens cleaner but to no avail and tried different CD's/DVD's to ensure that it was the drive. My other DVD drive functions perfectly OK.
The reason that I raised the thread was that I found it impossible to accept that a manufacturers helpline was indicating that the only option to the problem was to do a factory restore. I note Fruitbats comment to uninstall the drive etc, and was going to do that tomorrow, when I had some free time.
If I were to install a replacement DVD drive I believe that I am correct in that the system would recognise the fact and install the correct drivers for it.
Any further comments?

moorie- 22:42 23 Feb 07

it will install drivers but after that visit the drives website and install the latest firmware

terryf 22:47 23 Feb 07

I think Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggestions are best, factory restore IMO is rubbish suggestion

compumac 08:13 24 Feb 07

Easiest answer for helpline, does not need a lot of thought

compumac 10:37 24 Feb 07

I sat down this morning and felt sure that the answer to my problem was simple. It was - My Computer/Properties/Tools/Error Checking - reboot.
Problem solved - DVD drive seen and functions. Whereas I realise the difficulties helplines have in diagnosing problems from afar, to advise putting back to factory reset after three years of adding programmes along with all of the relevent updates was considered by me as a complete non starter. This was, in their eyes, the one and only option.
Confidence in quality of reply from Medion helpline - Yuk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…