Dvd drive and cd-rw drive missing!!!

Big_GiRl 13:26 31 Oct 03

My brother managed to download a virus that disabled my antivirus and firewall and let some one from irc connect to my pc.

Anyhow he moved stuff around deleted a few programs and so on, I did system retore and all was well until I went to use my dvd drive, but it was missing along with my cd-rw drive!! I went to divice manager and beside my dvd drive, my cd-rw drive there is the yellow circle with an exclamation mark beside it under properties it gives this -

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19).

Also under system information\components\problem devies it gives me this for my dvd and cd-rw drive - error code - problem using the vxd loader

any help much appreciated

graham√ 13:29 31 Oct 03

Uninstal them in Safe Mode. Windows should then find them and re-instal the drivers.

Big_GiRl 13:52 31 Oct 03

Tried that but didnt work!! Any other ideas??

brittas 14:26 31 Oct 03

in device manager look at the properties of each drive. Find out what drivers are being used for each, what their names are and where they are located in system32.You can simply do this by using the find file feature from the start menu.You may find that the files are located in poss 3 places. Delete the files located in the "drivers" location - NO WHERE ELSE and re-start your pc and see what happens. When this happened over the weekend to me, I found that the file was present but registered at 0kb. When deleted and re-placed by windows, it measured approx 61kb. Sorry for being long-winded but its easier to do than explain.

graham√ 14:32 31 Oct 03

If that doesn't work, check the ports in D/M.

click here

Big_GiRl 15:01 31 Oct 03

Thanks for ut relpies but I Tried both ur ideas and still cannot get it to work. Anything else I should try?

brittas 15:12 31 Oct 03

what ide are they plugged into - if its ide2 then the windows driver for that may be corrupt. I am clutching at straws. Try deleting that driver as it controls both drives the same way i suggested with the actual drive drivers.

brittas 15:18 31 Oct 03

going back a step, you said your brother used system restore, could it have been during this that the corruption occured. Are the drives being picked up by the bios?

brittas 15:19 31 Oct 03

sorry hit response too quickly - try system restore but use an earlier date than previously done by your brother.

Big_GiRl 15:22 31 Oct 03

I dont think it happened during system restore i think it was to do with the virus i got. both drives are shown in device manager but both have a yellow circle with an exclamation mark beside it.

Big_GiRl 15:28 31 Oct 03

restored back as far as i could go to the first of this month still nothing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…