DVD draw wont open

conrail 21:48 25 Feb 06

son has an Iqon pc running xp home, it has a DVD-RW drive, the draw refuses to open, there is no hole in the draw, I have tried eject and can hear the motor trying to open the draw, any suggestions, have tried a search usung cd wont open and dvd wont open but nothing came up, all suggestions gratefully accepted

muscic lover 22:05 25 Feb 06

try the eject button, and if it fails it may well be a faulty cog inside.
If necessary you may have to take out the drive tray from the inside....

But all drawers i have ever seen have a hole for manually ejecting the drive. Try the manufacturers web site for ideas as well! Hope this helps

originalmiscellany 22:09 25 Feb 06

all drives have a space for a pin/paperclip to be forced in, and that should open it. I've used it a number of times before when my cd drive has shut on my laptop. It's the size of a "LED light", just a few mm wide.

€dstowe 22:10 25 Feb 06

Like Music Lover, I've never seen a DVD or CD drive wihout a hole for opening the tray.

As some cases now have an integral flap which covers the actual tray of an optical drive, have you checked that your case doesn't have one of these?

conrail 22:16 25 Feb 06

thanks guys, I know about the hole but this one does not have a hole, Music Lover how do I take the draw out from inside, I have tried eject, that does not work, he says there is no CD in the draw

Methedrine 01:10 26 Feb 06

I had a friend bring me a slot loading DVD-ROM drive with no eject hole on the front. He had a CD stuck in there and I had to physically take the thing apart using a screwdriver and a bit of brute force. Unfortunately it was the only way to get the disc out.

conrail 01:12 26 Feb 06

thanks for all suggestions

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:27 26 Feb 06

Some thines a software program will lock the draw.

Run your burning software and use the eject button in the software.

Stuartli 12:19 26 Feb 06

Further to Fruit Bat /\0/\'s advice Nero, for instance, controls the operation of the drive drawer during a burning operation.

If you copy a disk, for example, from a CD/DVD-ROM drive, Nero will open the drawer after the initial copy and then the rewriter drawer to allow you to place a CD or DVD blank disk in it.

conrail 15:26 26 Feb 06

thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ and Stuartli will look into that

jakimo 15:39 26 Feb 06

select "My Computer" the drives you have installed will be displayed,right click on the problem drive and a menu with an eject option will\Should appear

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac