DVD disks will not play on HP Pavilion PC

BriK 20:02 15 Jan 03
  BriK 20:02 15 Jan 03

I’ve a problem playing DVDs on my HP Pavilion 471.uk (Windows XP home, GeForce 4, Toshiba SD M-1612 DVD-ROM drive). When I insert a DVD, the drive spins but the disk will not play, either in MediaPlayer or WinDVD. When I double-click on D; drive in My Computer, I get the following warning message “!Disk is not formatted.Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted or it could be using a format that is incompatible with Windows”. I have tried various disks, which I know work but the drive will only play audio CDs and CD-Roms. I am thus assuming it is a software problem but I have updated the drivers and the drive is shown as working in device manager, the regional settings are also correct. HP advise the machine is shipped ready to play DVDs. Any advice would be much appreciated.

DieSse 21:21 15 Jan 03

If neither program will play any DVDs, I would be more inclined to suspect the hardware than the software (especially with the error message you are getting).

Some DVD players use two lasers - the DVD one and/or it's associated circuitry could easliy fail and leave the Cd one working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…