DVD decoder for XP?

Ray5776 19:13 07 Mar 06

Trying to change from Win2000 to XP but lots of niggly things.
Tried to play a DVD today and got message "No DVD encoder installed"

Ray

howard63 19:53 07 Mar 06

you will need to reinstall all progs after changing os

Ray5776 20:09 07 Mar 06

yes I realise this but I dont think my old DVD disks will work with XP, I was looking for A link to XP DVD decoder. This is the sort of thing that comes on a cover disk but I cant find it on any recent PCA ones.

Ray

Ray5776 21:21 07 Mar 06

refresh

De Marcus™ 21:34 07 Mar 06

A DVD decoder is not the sort of thing that comes on a cover disk except in trial versions. A DVD decoder is a program which has the ability to decode the dvd data stream into something thats watchable on screen via a program, the difference being a decoder decodes, a program plays back that decoded stream, essentially two seperate entity's. If you had the ability to watch DVD's on your Win98 setup, theres no valid reason you can't do the same with XP, what you have to do is remember which program you used to watch DVD's in 98 and install that program in XP.

De Marcus™ 21:35 07 Mar 06

Sorry win2000 to xp.

Stuartli 22:56 07 Mar 06

Try installing the standard K-Lite codecs pack from:

click here

You may also have to download MPEG2 decoders from the Microsoft website:

click here (advice)

click here

Also ensure that DVD is Enabled from WMP's File Types.

Stuartli 22:58 07 Mar 06

See also:

click here

Ray5776 15:43 08 Mar 06

thanks for the explanation De Marcus, used the old program and it works fine. Stuartli, thanks for the links, will give that a try if I have any probs but all seems OK now.
In hindsight I should have tried it before posting instead of assuming it would not work, I should have learnt by now never assume anything when dealing with the mysteries of Microsoft.

Thanks for your help,
Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…