DVD decoder software

jtt 12:45 18 Aug 04

I used to be able to play DVDs on my Windows XP PC from its DVD drive. Because of other problems, I had to re-install windows XP, but when I try to play a DVD an error box occurs saying I need decoder software. I cannot find this on the original disks that were supplied with my PC. It came with Donic DVD even after installing this it still claimed there wasn't a decoder. Where do I get this decoder from?

mgmcc 12:58 18 Aug 04

A DVD player such as PowerDVD or WinDVD installs the necessary decoder to play DVD movies.

jtt 13:09 18 Aug 04

Thanks. I see you have to pay for these. Are there any free ones?

mgmcc 13:23 18 Aug 04

See if there are any suitable video codecs at click here

Windows Media Player 9 should play movies once you have the video codec installed.

Stuartli 13:38 18 Aug 04

WMP9 will indeed play DVDs but ensure that not only do you have the codecs, but also enable DVD in WMP9 via Tools>Options>File Types.

pj123 15:11 18 Aug 04

JetAudio is free and will play DVDs. Get it from click here I have both PowerDVD and JetAudio on my PC and I have just tried jetaudio to confirm it will play DVDs. The DVD doesn't start playing automatically though, you need to open jetaudio and point it to the DVD drive and then click "play".

pj123 15:19 18 Aug 04

Have also just noticed with JetAudio that if the DVD is in Widescreen format it will automatically switch (albeit in a smaller window) but still viewable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…