dvd decoder needed

whatsupdoc 17:52 23 Jan 04

ive just put a dvd in my drive, a samsung sm322 cdrw plus dvd playback.
it said cant play dvd decoder needed. i havent a clue what i need . it was a legit dvd i bought from asda today. it asked me to go on the microsoft site but couldnt find what i was looking for.
windows xp. 512mb ddr ram.media player 9.
2.6ghz p4
120gb harddrive
onboard 64mb intel graphics
5.1 onboard sound.
tia ann

Smiler 18:33 23 Jan 04

Did you have any software discs with the player this may have a sofware dvd player program that you need to install

georgemac 18:42 23 Jan 04

smiler is right, windows media player does not come equipped to play dvd's. You need to get a plug in. I cannot remeber where you get it from, but you may be as well just getting some dvd playback software.

click here is a good site with lots of info and may help you decide what you need - me I watch them on my widescreen tv - much better.

Bapou 19:08 23 Jan 04

If you are on XP, Media Player 9 is available to download from Microsoft for free.

MP9 has the ability to play DVD.

Bapou 19:13 23 Jan 04

Apologies, should have read your post properly. The decoder is available although mine came on CD from the 'official' XP Magazine along with MP9 and Bonus Pack.

tafoody 19:16 23 Jan 04

you'll need to install a third-party decoder,

winDVD or powerDVD are usually recommended.

dfghjkl 20:17 23 Jan 04

if you have 5.1 sound you will need powerdvd 5 and it is dearer.there are free stereo ones,i would try google.nvidia do a 2 week trial on a 5.1 decoder.

whatsupdoc 22:56 23 Jan 04

thanks for all your help.. ill go on the search for the decoder software

georgemac 09:18 24 Jan 04

contact bapou and see what edition of the xp magazine had the cd and buy a copy.

Bapou 16:59 24 Jan 04

I don't keep back copies of this mag, not enough space. I installed July 2003 so taking a guess,August 2003 be the issue.

May be worth you downloading a more update version of MP9, or even various updates.

click here takes you to the download area.

Diodorus Siculus 17:02 24 Jan 04

Have a look at MaximusDVD.com - they have a freeware player and give info about installing the correct / necessary codecs for playing your DVDs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…