DVD Copy

Confab 18:25 22 Oct 04

I know this is a sensitive topic but I'll ask this question at the risk of being "shot down in flames"

I have just spent quite a bit of hard earned cash buying a DVD recorder, not the PC type, but one just like a video. I've bought some DVD films - not a hugh collection, just a few of my favorites, but I'm a worried man!

There's a very simple equation that's taken me far too long to work out and, has cost dearly. The equation is CD's + kids = Broken CD's.

I don't want to have broken DVDs so I've thought about making a copy of each film for my personal use only. I know that it's something that you're not supposed to do but I don't think big brother is going to take me to task if I do this.(I could have gone to the local market and bought each film for a fiver but I chose to buy the original because I don't believe in piracy)

So my question is - has anyone copied a commercial DVD on to a 4.7GB DVD and found the results to be acceptable. I don't want to waste cash on copying software if the results are not going to be good.

Thanks

Confab

Yes the copy is as if it were a shop bought one.I bought mine from a computer fair in Slough, the one I bought is called DVD MOVIE BACKUP 2004 EDITION and only cost me £8.00 and even that was a copy.if you need more help just ask.

the ones you buy from pc world and places like that will not copy encripted movies my one will and make then all region 0 which will play on any dvd player in the world.

karmgord 18:45 22 Oct 04

dvd s are copy protected ,this protection can be got around with software that both removes the protection and shrinks the copy to fit a 4.7GB disc., but as I understand it you have a domestic player which can't use such software so I don't think it will just copy a dvd.just to please the moderators it is illeagal in the E.U to make copies (even back ups) of copyrighted material.

Dorsai 18:49 22 Oct 04

This is the point at which the british copyright laws fall flat on their face, and get laffed at by everyone watching.

What you want to do is, technically against the law, and at the same time, perfectly understandable, and harms no-one. (as long as you are only doing it for the reason given).

About time we got a 'fair use' clause, to de-criminalise what you are doing.

Could kids wrecking DVD's be one reason why pirate DVD's sell so well, even thought they are poor quality?

What do i mean? That the parent knows it will be ruined in 6 months, so does not want to spend £15.99, and so £4.99 seems more attractive, and the 4yr old will probably not care about the poor quality, even if they notice.

Confab 18:50 22 Oct 04

I was thinking of buying a DVD burner for my PC and software to copy my DVD's - not using my DVD recorder to copy. I'm sure that would not work.

So before I spend £100.00+ I need to know if the copy is acceptable

Confab

Dorsai 18:57 22 Oct 04

Sorry, dont have the 'kid' element to worry about. Just me + partner. Have no experiance in copying a DVD.

Can say all the fake copies i have borrowed wearnt worth watching. Now i wait and rent, or borrow a genuine copy.

As I said earlier the software I use is tops perfect copy every time. DVD burner now around £50.00 if you shop around software £8.00.

In fact if you like I will send you a copy.

jakimo 21:20 22 Oct 04

Have a browse here for imformation

click here

TomJerry 22:14 22 Oct 04

so, you can copy the whole movie to a single double layer disc (8.5GB same as movie disc) assume you get permission to copy the movie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…