DVD contents 4.2gb so how can I fit more on a Data DVD?

buel 16:38 01 Feb 14

Hi, I was planning on backing up some data so thought Id start with a home video DVD that has been burnt as a DVD that plays on DVD players. I copied the contents/folder to my desktop and seen that the folder is 4.2gb. I was planning on burning my data on to data DVDs as I thought you could get more on a DVD if you burned it as a data DVD. However, it seems that this will save me no space at all. Please can I ask where I am going wrong? Do I have to convert the data/video files to FLV or something? I am not too keen to do that as the quality will be lost.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

buel 17:11 01 Feb 14

Ah, I see. Excellent, thank you. I guess converting to FLV would compress even further?

Ian in Northampton 18:45 01 Feb 14

buel: don't forget that any form of compression will lose you some quality. Some of that loss is more or less visible to the naked eye, and much depends on the size of screen you plan to play the movie back on - a TV screen, for example, will show more of the compression artefacts than you'd notice on a smartphone, for example. It's about individual taste how much quality loss you can stand - but, typically, the harder you compress, the more quality you'll lose.

lotvic 19:12 01 Feb 14

Have you thought about saving the DVD as an .iso file?

lotvic 19:33 01 Feb 14

If you want to trim out unwanted sections of a video (for example tv adverts) and also convert to other formats, I have found the no nonsense easy to use free program Avidemux to be excellent. Basically you view the video frames and set an 'A' and a 'B' point and then press Delete and it chops out the frames between the A and B point. (Does not touch the original - when you save you get a new file, you can alter the title slightly so it doesn't clash with original) More info on gbpvr.com forum

buel 21:02 01 Feb 14

Absolutely brilliant, thank you all of you. Lotvic, adverts aren't really a problem, it's more about the quality, thank you. Regarding lowering the quality/changing the format, I think I'll use Freemake Video Converter, you can convert to a different format and edit/cut chunks out! Thank you all so much!

bumpkin 21:14 01 Feb 14

I would have thought that the easiest option is dual layer DVDs as mentioned by Lazarus, no need for messing about with compression or problems with reduced quality.

lotvic 21:45 01 Feb 14

Freemake Video Converter, thanks buel, there's so many out there sometimes it's hard to choose one :) I'm downloading it (them) now.

lotvic 22:24 01 Feb 14

Freemake Video Converter, BEWARE it comes with addon PUPS Conduit and a Tuneup

Good thing I chose the offline install download option and Custom install so was able to UNselect them

Then it wanted me to install an update with a 'black bars removal' Gold Pack that apparently you have to buy, though this is not made clear before you click on the 'Install' button (I didn't install it, I clicked on the 'learn more' instead)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5