dvd codec not installed please help

ozzy 123 10:43 20 Nov 05

Hi every one.
A friend of mine has just fitted a dvd recorder drive on my daughters pc. but when she went to play a film a warning box came up saying no codec was installed so we couldnt play the disc.
can any one please help is it what is the best site to get the codec from.
the dvd writer is a philips dvdr1628p1
and we are running on windows xp pro.
i cant ask my friend to sort it as he has gone on his hols.
many thanks in advance ozzy

alan227 10:49 20 Nov 05
  ozzy 123 13:13 20 Nov 05

Hi alan ive been on the site but i am unsure which Codec i need ive downloaded three and non of them worked.
sorry if im being a bit thick but this is a whole new teratory for me. i was hoping to install something so that the next time i put a dvd in windows media player it would just play it like it used to. many thanks all your help is apreciated. ozzy

ACOLYTE 13:14 20 Nov 05

Try this click here

ozzy 123 13:41 20 Nov 05

hi arcolyte
i dowloaded it and installed it but a warnig message still comes up when i try to play a dvd telling me that a compatible codec is not installed.

ACOLYTE 13:47 20 Nov 05

What version of WMP do you have ?
In WMP 10 open it up and select tools options click the dvd tab then the advanced tab then in the next box click the system tab and in the filter merit make sure preffered AC3Filter is ticked.

pj123 13:59 20 Nov 05

Try JetAudio free from click here

Scroll down to the bottom and select Jetaudio 6 Basic Download.

I normally play my DVDs using PowerDVD click here

but JetAudio is a good alternative.

Stuartli 16:18 20 Nov 05

Try downloading the standard K-Lite pack (free) from:

click here

The VLC Media Player will handle anything asked of it:

click here

Also ensure in Windows Media Player that all file types are enabled (Tools>Options>File Types and also check the DVD tab).

ozzy 123 23:20 20 Nov 05

ive tried every thing above but nothing is working the same missing codec message apears everytime were using mediaplayer 9 on windows xp pro

Stuartli 23:23 20 Nov 05

You'd be better downloading WMP10 from the Microsoft website.

anchor 15:39 21 Nov 05

Have a look here, from Microsoft:

click here

They say you need a codec like this; cost $14.98

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…