DVD & CDR Roms Not Working

CDL 22:35 20 Jul 06

On recent boot up neither the CDR or DVDR showed up on My Computer. On checking Device Manager they both had a yellow asterisk against them. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling (both physically and virtualy)but to no avail.I have replaced the cable and tried various combinations elimination etc. The properties box tells me that there is a configuration problem or that the driver is corupted. I have cleane the registry andran various scans etc.

What next ?

Thanks
CDL

skidzy 22:40 20 Jul 06

Are you receiving any code errors...if so please post these code errors,

Have uninstalled anything recently,for example Roxio/Nero etc ?

skidzy 22:40 20 Jul 06

Typo: (Have you uninstalled)

De Marcus™ 22:42 20 Jul 06

Try uninstalling the ide channel the drives are connected too, reboot, allow your OS to automatically reinstall the correct drivers. if that doesn't work, check your cables, then if you've recently changed a drive over for whatever reason, check your jumper pins.

That's the quick answer, computers rarely respond to human logic, so if you have problems after my first suggestion, come back to us with what those problems were.

P.s. in device manager are these devices listed as code 10?

SANTOS7 22:42 20 Jul 06

click here
this may help,

skidzy 23:01 20 Jul 06

If it is showing an error code, 10, 39, etc., delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

CDL 00:17 21 Jul 06

Thank you all so far for the advice. I'm still working on it and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

CDL

CDL 00:19 21 Jul 06

Oh sorry ! The error code is 19.

skidzy 00:23 21 Jul 06

Restart the computer in Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good Configuration. This rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration.Try this before editing the registry as above.

CDL 19:18 21 Jul 06

Thanks again all for your help.In particular skidzy - the registry edit did the trick. Both devices found and fine now.....BUT since doing that the machine wont 'restart' itself automatically.
What next ?

CDL

skidzy 23:55 21 Jul 06

CDL...sorry ive never known this fix to do that,i will look into it and post back over the weekend.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac