dvd and cd-rw drives not there

ace121pk 23:50 15 May 05

i cannot access my cd-rw drive or my dvd drive in my computer. they are not there.

i had a look in device manager and i saw the yellew exclaimation marks. i also have 1 virtual drive (made thru alcohol 120%).

i have tried the uninstall method, but sill i get the yellow exclaimation marks.

any ideas?

ace121pk 07:29 16 May 05

my BIOS can detect the drives as present and i am able to load the bootable cd during start up.

could it be any missing drivers?

golfpro 08:00 16 May 05

I'm not saying that this is your problem, but I had a similar problem last week after I unplugged an IR device from the USB port. My computer shut down and on reboot I lost all my removable storage drives except the disk drives from "MY Computer", I recovered these by unplugging them one by one and reconnecting.

Sans le Sou 11:09 16 May 05

The simplest way would be to see if you have a recent system checkpoint you could use in System restore.

torver 14:11 16 May 05

have you run up to date anti-virus or spyware products as certain malware can reduce functionality to your computer if possible go online and do a free anti virus check such as this one
click here

ace121pk 16:18 18 May 05

i do not use system restore, its disabled. but i will give the other methods a try later on

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:34 18 May 05

Uninstall the IDE channels, then reinstall by scan for new hardware.

Wilham 19:32 18 May 05

If all else fails and you use XP, have a look in the registry for upper and lower filters. click here and print instructions for reference.

Joe R 19:43 18 May 05

ace121pk,

If both are on the same ide channel, it may be a loose or faulty ide cable connector, to your mobo.

ace121pk 17:35 22 May 05

checked the connectins, they are perfectly slotted in, both drives are on the same IDE, tried the uninstall Secondary IDE controller, scanned for changes, picked up the IDE controller, picked up the drive, but still has those yellow exclamation marks

Sans le Sou 18:09 22 May 05

Can you delve into device manager and see which drivers (if any)are listed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…