dvd burning verification... should u trust it?

theDarkness 20:49 13 Aug 10

I have just realised after burning 6 discs that all failed during the disc verification process in ashampoo, that on a second verification- straight after the first, with the same discs, most will often pass the test!

So I am wondering what anyone would suggest as the best method in knowing that a disc has burnt correctly? I have an old 1.6 athlon 1 gig desktop, but its more than enough to burn a dvd disc using "disc at once" at 4x speed. Should I simply try the verification more than once? If it passes at anytime, should I only then believe that it must be a well burnt disc-and that my failures in verification are most likely often down to reading errors using my dvd drive itself, or ram issues?

I always use verbarim dvd discs to burn. On the discs that only pass on the second or third verification test, I have tried copying their content to my hard drive, and they have no errors (although with one disc, I could not copy by merely right clicking on the "D:" drive, instead I had to view its content first, but it still copied and the content could be read). Should I ignore the verification process in ashampoo and nero, and simply copy as a test to see if my burns were successful, or should I always use verification, and only bin the discs if they contantly fail (eg after the third verification test)? thanks for any info

eedcam 22:44 13 Aug 10

I burn at least 2 dvd's a week using imgburn never verify and no failures.I always crerate an Iso image first then burn at a later date

AL47 22:47 13 Aug 10

its a bit redundant really

theDarkness 20:50 14 Aug 10

thanks for the replies. eedcam - if you dont verify, then how do you know if any individual files contained within the ISO burned badly? Does burning from an ISO guarantee a better burn, in that the ISO will either burn correctly as a whole with everything it contains, or wont read at all? From now I think I will always verify more than once, if I get a verification failure I will try verify it again, and only throw the disc away if its still failing after a third check, if necessary.

Does anyone know if burning from bluray is just as troublesome, and perhaps even slower? In this day and age I suppose I should only be using external hard drives as a backup device if my data isnt necessary to be put onto disc, but I just keep thinking that one bad external hard drive with gigs worth of material could be alot of data to lose in the worst of cases. I guess theres no real solution, lol. thanks

DieSse 20:53 14 Aug 10

I was having these same issues with Ashampoo.

I switched to CDBurnerXP, and now never have verification failures.

Don't know any reasons why though.

rdave13 20:57 14 Aug 10

I always use Ashampoo burner/converter and don't use the verify options (adds time). Burn a bad disc then bin it. Happens rarely.
I use the paid for version 10.

theDarkness 22:20 14 Aug 10

thanks-I might try out CDBurnerXP, does the free version support verification? Im wondering if having more than one disc burning program on the same system might create any driver/system issues, or if I should definately uninstall ashampoo before testing CDBurner

eedcam 22:23 14 Aug 10

Darkness my files are movies so I always know if they are ok . If they burn to Iso ok then any problem burning to disc is just burning a disc image as opposed to the actual disc.I would say then if the disc was troublesome on playback its the drive and/or disc itself .As you use Verbatim I would riule out the latter

rdave13 22:32 14 Aug 10

Uninstall ashapoo.
Try other freebies to your hearts content.
Only one type of verification you need is if the DVD or CD actually plays in a DVD player.
Thing is some DVD/CD players will only play a limited type of disc. So players fault not PC or burner.

DieSse 00:17 15 Aug 10

I never (well once in a blue moon) burn movies - I burn data CDs and DVDs, so it's essential that they are verified.

Yes the free version of CDBurnerXP supports verification.

I also use only Verbatim blanks, because I've found them very reliable.

Verifying films is, I would agree, hardly worthwhile, as any odd errors would probably not be noticeable.

rdave13 00:25 15 Aug 10

Same applies to data discs. Burn them then see if they work. With data discs always burn two of them; as a duplicate should be made. Also copy to flash drive. Always check backups work. Verifying is ok but even the biggest names in backup software, with verifying technology, sometimes fail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017