DVD Burning Errors

dogbreath1 14:19 12 Apr 08

Windows XP SP2, Nero Express 6.0, Plextor PX-716A (latest firmware).

Can burn CD's but random errors every time I try to burn a DVD.

Errors such as (mainly), 'power calibration error'.

Haven't changed media (TDK DVD+R) and am still using a batch from pre-error days.

Any thoughts please.

TIA,

db.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:51 12 Apr 08

Power Calibration
There are two common causes for power calibration errors.
Low Quality Media
At the start of each burn the drive will burn to a small section the the disc to adjust the laser power for the media being used. Low quality media is inconsistent and will frequently give hit or miss results during the power calibration. AN32, CMC and Moser Baer are common low quality media.
Keep in mind that many of the brands of media aren't actually made by the company selling them. To find out who actually manufactured the media you can use DVD Identifier.
click here
Some of the best makes of media to try are Ritek G04/G05, Verbatim Metal AZO, Maxell and Taiyo Yuden.
The only recourse for power calibration errors with low quality media is to update the firmware for your drive and hope it works. Here's a link to the best firmware page to be found:
click here
If you've never flashed a drive before I highly suggest checking out the forums there and read up on the process before attemting anything.
Your Burner Is Dying
This one is self-explanatory.
If you're using quality media, your firmware is up to date and you're still recieving power calibration errors then your old drive is dying or your new drive is most likely defective.

If problem in Nero then:
1 on desktop click start
2 select control panel
3 click on administrative tools
4 click on services
5 browse your way down to IMAPI CD BURNING COM SERVICE
6 right click (on IMAPI) then select properties
7 in the middle of the window it will say start up type.click on the arrow to the right and select disabled.
8 make sure you click APPLY
you should notice that Nero starts alot faster aswell.

dogbreath1 16:00 12 Apr 08

Thanks for the response.

It's not a media issue. I've burned dozens of DVD's from this same batch without problem.

The firmware installed was only released very recently (incidentally, the errors appeared before and after the update).

I'd already made the IMAPI adjustment.

I'll try cleaning the laser lens but I don't hold up much hope....

Seems like my burner could be dying!!

Again, many thanks for getting back.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 12 Apr 08

Personally I never burn faster than 4x

eedcam 18:09 12 Apr 08

I would try Imgburn better burner and free would at least eliminate nero being the prob plus a detailed log
click here

dogbreath1 18:20 12 Apr 08

I don't believe this to be a software issue. I use Nero on 6 machines (and have done for years) with no problems until now.

I'll try the cleaning route and post back. If no joy, I'll replace the Plextor.

@Fruit Bat /\0/\ - I've tended to let the Plextor burn at it's fastest rate (16x). Are you suggesting that a slower rate will prolonge the life of an optical drive?

postie24 18:43 12 Apr 08

By burning at 4x,you have less chance of incurring any burning errors than at 16x

dogbreath1 09:51 13 Apr 08

Yup mate, I appreciate that. I was wondering whether Fruit Bat /\0/\ was making a general point or one specific to my problem. E.g would burning a DVD at 4x make it less likely to be given a 'power calibration error' than burning at 16x?

dogbreath1 18:45 29 Apr 08

Having been in lazy mode recently, I have only just got round to trying the obvious! A Temium CD-Rom Lens Cleaner from Comet is all that it took to rid me of my burning woes!!

At £9.99 I realise I could have got it much cheaper, but, like I said, I've been in lazy mode!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…