DVD Burner/disc's - write speed

Skeletor 10:34 14 Dec 07

I'm slightly embarrassed to ask as
this is a question that I feel I should know the answer to, but here goes:

Will my NEC ND-2500-A 8x DVD burner burn 16x discs?
I assumed that discs could be written at slower than their maximum speed. I tried a couple of 16x discs but they failed.
8x discs are getting increasingly harder to find, but as the burner is fine I am reluctant to upgrade unless that's the only option.

Thanks for any info.

Steve

johndrew 11:26 14 Dec 07

Yes. The 16x figure is the (theoretical) maximum speed the disk write is rated at. Often it is better to write at slower speeds as the results may be better - less corrupt disks, etc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:54 14 Dec 07

Yes 16x discs are fine, but for more reliable results I always burmn at 8x by setting the rate in the burning software.

Skeletor 15:49 14 Dec 07

OK, thanks guys,

That's what I thought. But for some reason the 2 Verbatim 16x discs that I tried failed. Maybe I should try another brand...any recommendations welcomed.

Cheers,

Steve

johndrew 16:00 14 Dec 07

I always use TDK or Phillips myself, but others will have different opinions of them. One thing I do know is that cheap disks cause problems for me although my brother uses them with no difficulty. Must be the burners we have; I have NEC he has a less well known item he picked up at a fair somewhere!!!

Skeletor 16:34 14 Dec 07

Many thanks,

I'll give TDK or Phillips a go. If they fail then I'll be down to PC World for the Lite-on 20x...at £25 I can't really go wrong...

...maybe that would be the best bet anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now