DVD Burner - XP will not recognise.

britianicus 17:46 23 Feb 04

I recently changed my CDR dod a DVD burner as PCW had reduced the cost by almost half. Now when I put the new one in having deleted the previous CDR my PC will recognise the DVDR but there is a "problem" with the installation. On top of that it will not recognise my existing DVD drive. Take the DVDR out, put in the old CDR and hey presto! Everything is hunky dory. Now I have some existing conflicts within my machine that I'm aware of and so I'm planning to re-install XP anyway but can't do it without the CDR being in-place. Well I haven't tried yet just taking the CDR out but there you go. Maybe I'll try that this evening thatt'll give me something fulfilling to do on a Monday night. Any other idesas would be appreciated although ones' about 3lb hammers are already in hand.

Rayuk 18:15 23 Feb 04

Why cant you do it without the cdr being in place,youu can use the dvdr to load windows.

Have you checked the jumpers on both drives.

Daz35 18:28 23 Feb 04

Just out of interest, was it a Freecom Classic you bought? I'm having major problems with mine (price down to £130?) trying to burn DVD's. I've tried all the solutions Freecom and Pinnacle have come up with but to no avail. Why can't manufacturers put on the box the best media to use for their specific hardware. Any ideas anyone?

cycoze 21:21 23 Feb 04

Did you check the master/slave jumper on dvd was set the same as the cd your replacing ?

britianicus 12:00 12 Mar 04

Changed the jumper settings and hey presto! Thanks for the responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…