DVD Burner only burns CDs

The Curzon Kid 18:07 19 Oct 08

A while a go my DVD ROM and DVD RW drive disappeared from my XP SP2 setup. I found out that by editing the registry and removing the upper and lower filter entries they would re-appear - and they did!

The problem now is that I am unable to burnd DVDs using my Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 programme. I have also plugged in an external DVD burner and that is not recognised by the programme and in Explorere is is shown as a card reader. I have tried to update the firmware by downloading the file from the NEC site but when I try to run it an error message pops up to say the drive is not installed correctly. I have also deleted the driver and then rebooted but to no avail.

I can burn CDs fine and play DVDs but burning is out of the question.

In my quest to keep my PC in tip top conditin and geting rid of the rubbish that builds up have I accidently deleted an important file?

How can I regain the ability to burn DVDs again?

eedcam 18:45 19 Oct 08

This post fromPhotoshops own forum shows list of drivers recognized by elements 3 .A good place tostart then use the forum
click here

Stuartli 18:47 19 Oct 08

The burning process is controlled by software such as Nero.

You should ensure that the rewriter is configured as the Master and the ROM drive as the Slave, using the jumpers on the rear of each drive.

Then try Uninstalling the drives in Device Manager and Rebooting so that Windows can Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver for each drive (all that is required for optical drives).

Stuartli 18:49 19 Oct 08

It could also be that the DVD rewriter's DVD laser has gone kaput whilst the CD laser is OK.

A new DVD top brand rewriter can be bought from around £15 upwards these days.

Jim_F 19:01 19 Oct 08

I haven't used Adobe elements 3 but I have found that a clean reinstall of software that uses CD/DVD drives can get them to be correctly recognised.

I did have a drive where the DVD burning went awol as the previous post describes - another wrinkle I've found is that some CD/DVD drives don't play nicely on the same cable.

The Curzon Kid 22:10 19 Oct 08

Wow! thanks for all the replies. I will have a try-out of all your suggestions but time commitments mean that it won't be untill Tuesday night.
I will post again once I have tried them out.

Again thanks for the replies.

The Curzon Kid 22:29 27 Oct 08

Sorry for the delay in getting back with an update on the suggestions.

I have to say that after trying all the above suggestions and a few more besides the one that worked for me was that suggested by Jim F. That is a clean re-install of my copy of Adobe Premier Elements 3.

I am now burning like a Guy Fawkes bonfire!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now