dvd burner - oem

Tigerlily 16:36 23 Nov 03

Hi I was goign to buy a dvd burner and then noticed the words OEM and that it had no box, software or manual. I am a bit concerned as i have never had a dvd burner before, would you recommend i buy branded. I mean how am i going to connect it up if it has no cable/screws etc? Sorry for being so thick!

Quiller. 16:43 23 Nov 03

To actually physically connect the burner to the computer. It will need a spare IDE and power connector. These you will probably have inside the computer.

The main disadvantage with OEM peripherals is that there is no software with them. To use the burner on your computer you will need either Roxio or nero burning software, the most commonest. If you visit the burners website it should say what software is used. Or if you post the make and model, we could try.

I bought an OEM DVD burner because I knew it would work on the latest Nero update.

Gemma 16:52 23 Nov 03

Buy a retail package. All the bits you need should be in the box. Check the labelling for the contents. OEM (original equipment manufacturer)deals are cheaper because of what's left out. Check what software comes with it so that it will do what you want.

Part of choosing the brand should include checking the website - is there enough support for you? Is there a phone number for a real person not a robot? Then buy from a supplier who has a returns policy declared that you feel comfortable with.

Lastly, read the manual before looking for the screwdriver......

bremner 16:55 23 Nov 03

Do you already have a CD Writer installed and a burning program such as Nero or Easy CD Creator.?

If the answer is yes then there is absolutely no point in getting anything other than an OEM burner.

That is unless you like throwing money away. If you do could you throw it in my direction please :))

Quiller. 16:59 23 Nov 03

Novel way to get a bit of extra dosh.;) :)

Has it worked yet?

Tigerlily 17:15 23 Nov 03

Yes bremner i do already have a cd writer adn nero, so should i just go for oem take out the cd writer and connect through that cable

Tigerlily 17:22 23 Nov 03

i can get an nec 1100 a for 70 with a year guarantee but it oem, what you think?

Stuartli 17:50 23 Nov 03

You only need the basic Windows driver for the rewriter and burning software, if you haven't got Nero or Roxio, is freely available to download on the Internet.

Tigerlily 17:52 23 Nov 03

ok, well thanks everybody for your advice. I think i will go with the nec 1100a (oem version) It seems cheap enough

Stuartli 17:57 23 Nov 03

Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) products are normally supplied to system builers etc but is a great way to buy hardware, components, HDDs, rewriters etc at a considerable financial saving.

It's so easy to get drivers, software etc from the web that most people are happy to pocket the cash saved by avoiding the retail versions and spend it on Guinness...:-)

Tigerlily 17:58 23 Nov 03

sorry, was it ok to take out my cd rw and just connect the dvd burner in that slot with same cable as i used for cdrw

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…