Is this DVD Burner a bargain?

Bingalau 18:19 11 Jan 05

I am thinking of getting to the Aldi early on Thursday the 13th Jan., to purchase a DVD Burner they are advertising for sale. Can anyone tell me whether the one they are selling is a bargain or otherwise? It is a "Samsung; Dual Layer; 16 Speed; Multi Format Burner. Write speeds:48xCD-R, 16XDVD-R, 16xDVD+R, Re-Write speeds: 40xCD-RW, 4xDVD-RW, 4xDVD+RW, also burns and reads CD's Comes with one blank DVD and installation cable. (I should hope so). Three year warranty, helpline number and Pinnacle Studio Software (OEM version). Oh yes price is £59.99.
I assume this will make my Iomega CD-RW model obsolete? Is it a good buy? Any comments or advice before I commit a lump of my pension to it? ...... Bingalau....

GaT7 18:38 11 Jan 05

Dual-layered DVD burners sorted by price: click here=. Cheapest is about £38 but check closely for features, sw, etc., at retailers' websites.

Will you be selling the Iomega CD-RW drive, as I may be interested? Presently have a slow 8x8x32 CD-RW & could do with an upgrade (though not as posh as yours!). G

WallyD 18:44 11 Jan 05

Bought a few articles from Aldi and been pleased.
Not clued up enough on the tech side but where else can you get a three year guarantee.

Bingalau 18:47 11 Jan 05

Haven't decided whether to buy this DVD Burner yet but will certainly keep you in mind if I want to sell...Mind you I've got a gang of daughters and grand daughters who will all be clamouring for it. It's a 16x10x40 CD-RW if that means anything to you...I just put blank CD's in the thing and hit the buttons and it goes like a dream. I'm forever copying discs for all the relatives. I suppose it will get worse if it's a DVD Burner. (I shall have to give this another good coat of thinking at)....I will let you know anyway....Bingalau...

GaT7 18:49 11 Jan 05

Another 'dual layer' DVD writer pricelist click here - this is NOT sorted by price. A 3-year warranty would be hard (if not impossible) to match. G

Bingalau 18:54 11 Jan 05

It looks like there are a few bargains computer wise, at Aldi this week...There's a 250Gb Internal Hard Disc Drive for £79.99 and a TV Tuner Card for £24.99 also Glossy Photo Paper in 50's for a fiver and a few other minor items. I am just about all spent up with the Christmas thing..I suppose most of us are in January..Not to worry I will get by without all these latest add-ons I suppose.

GaT7 18:55 11 Jan 05

'will certainly keep you in mind' - thanks!

'got a gang of daughters and grand daughters...clamouring for it' - in that case I reckon they (one of them, at least!) should get first preference. G

rickf 18:59 11 Jan 05

I think this burner is under £38 at microdirect on offer.

GaT7 19:01 11 Jan 05

Bingalau, I was just thinking if you wait a few months (or a year perhaps) these DVD writers would have fallen in price, & I may go in for one myself! G

Bingalau 19:02 11 Jan 05

Crossbow Thanks and I've just been to the site you mention to have a look-see and am puzzled by the term "DL" in relation to the description of the DVD writer?

Bingalau 19:03 11 Jan 05

Sorry...Just realised it meand Dual Layered ..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…