dvd burn speed for 1.6ghz pc from external hd?

theDarkness 14:51 15 Apr 10

I know its an old system (1.6ghz athlon with 1gb of memory), but Im having problems burning dvd-rs, at any speed! 6 dvds in a row burnt bad (verbatim dvd-rs which have worked fine in the past!). Annoyingly, ashampoo burner stated (for a couple of discs at least) that they burnt fine, yet copying them back to the hd caused the usual data redundancy error messages anyway, on all systems i tried them on (i also have a laptop but I cannot burn dvds on that). Im thinking of trying a complete reinstall of xp on this system, to see if theres a change, perhaps there are driver issues etc.

Ive noticed with the bad burns that although the discs finish burning (for any bad non readable disc), that you can see one or two circular lines on each one, almost as if data is sectioned off in different areas. During burning, sometimes the burning process can seem to halt, the disc spins very fast to sound very buzzy/grinding, then continues again to finish. Ive noticed the noise (if not the stopping/starting) also on another machine, using the same burning software, although it also happens with nero when testing an old version of it on the desktop.

1 - Can anyone recommended what the best dvd burning speed for a 1.6ghz athlon 1gb pc straight from an external hd would be? It is compatible with both dvd+r and dvd-rs, ive had no problems in the past with either.

2 - Is it recommended-or should there not be any difference when burning from an external?
Is there more of a strain on the burning pc when burning off an external compared to straight off the internal hd?

3 - many sites say the lowest burning speeds eg 4x can cause problems just as much as a speed too fast, so I stick to around 8x usually. Is this too much for my desktop system?

4 - should I stop backing up to dvd-r in 2010, and just buy a much larger external hard drive instead? lol

thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:22 15 Apr 10

1 As slow as possible, I always burn at 4x regardless of speed of PC or DVD.

2. Not recommended - Yes it has to read the drive via USB (if USB1.1 then very slow)

3. see 1

4. Yes - hard drives are very cheap nowadays.

theDarkness 20:12 15 Apr 10

I tried my burns with one at 12x, and the rest at 4x! they all failed, all straight from the external hd. I think what annoys me the most is ashampoo stating for some that they succeed in the verification process, yet they still fail with the cyclic error when I try and copy them.

Ive just reinstalled windows now (3 hours!), its an old 2001 system with a 2005 version of ashampoo. Im not sure if its a good idea to update it to sp3 or not, if any installments could be resulting in slowing the system etc.

I will copy fies FROM the external hd, then try the same burns again at 4x and 8x as a test, then try and copy back to the desktops own hd! hopefully it will start behaving again, or im throwing the system and dvds out the window! lol thanks

eedcam 22:11 15 Apr 10

I burn all my dvd's about 2 a week at X4 from my external drive never aprob

belaward 03:36 16 Apr 10

To [url=click here]convert M4V to MP4[/url] with [url=click here]M4V to MP4 Converter software[/url] is becoming more and more popular.
For [url=click here]M4V to MP4 Converter [/url]is specially developed to convert M4V to MP4 with excellent sound and image.

theDarkness 12:13 16 Apr 10

the above post-ad alert!!!!
perhaps its because BOTH systems are giving up, lol-but the laptop the discs were also failing on is a recent vista one. neither systems with the exact same software have failed much with burning in the past. I used to use 8x, although ive noticed that 4x on these systems is not much/if any alower, strangely enough. Im trying the same verbatim discs at 4x, disc at once mode, but things arent looking good! on the xp system, i tried simulation mode first for testing, and while it managed to get through that ok, when it switched to burn mode, at 0% it failed! lol. im not sure if that disc is corrupt now, but im trying yet another dvd-r (disc number 7 now!). aargh!

theDarkness 12:13 16 Apr 10

the above post-ad alert!!!!
perhaps its because BOTH systems are giving up, lol-but the laptop the discs were also failing on is a recent vista one. neither systems with the exact same software have failed much with burning in the past. I used to use 8x, although ive noticed that 4x on these systems is not much/if any alower, strangely enough. Im trying the same verbatim discs at 4x, disc at once mode, but things arent looking good! on the xp system, i tried simulation mode first for testing, and while it managed to get through that ok, when it switched to burn mode, at 0% it failed! lol. im not sure if that disc is corrupt now, but im trying yet another dvd-r (disc number 7 now!). aargh!

theDarkness 12:59 16 Apr 10

im now on disc 8, the above at 4x on disc at once failed.. either both systems here are playing up, or both drives are failing, or Im just having a bad day, lol. the only other solution I can think of is to try dvd+rs, but most of my discs burnt that worked fine in the past have been verbatim dvd-r! I GIVE UP, lol.. a bad batch?...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…