DVD Authoring woes - no sound !!

nibbly nibbler 09:42 24 Aug 05

Please can anyone advise ? I have a Panasonic DVD recorder, and use this to "digitise" analogue video. I can then rip the DVD on the PC, and get the files on the HDD. Using the DVD playback software on the PC I can see and hear the videos with no problem.

However, when I load the files into my video editing programs (Arcsoft Showbiz 2, Ulead Video Studio 6 and Windows Movie Maker), the video runs but there's no sound !!

Where has it gone, and how do I get it back ??!!

If I can't sort it I'll need to get some video capture hardware for the PC...

Fellsider 09:52 24 Aug 05

I haven't used any of the s/w progs that you mention but did have the same problem on my PC.
On double checking everything it turned out there was a volume control 'slider' on one of the screens which was set to mute and I hadn't noticed.

nibbly nibbler 10:10 24 Aug 05

No - checked all the volume settings, nothing is turned down or muted.

In fact, the Showbiz program shows two boxes, one detailing the video type, and one showing the audio.

In the video box it says mpeg2 and the frame rate and pixel size etc.

Unlike other captured video (eg MOV and AVI files) the audio details are blank when I run one of these files.

And yet the Power DVD "player", Winamp and Windows Media player play them with sound and vision.

Arrgh !!!!

nibbly nibbler 10:19 24 Aug 05

No - checked all the volume settings, nothing is turned down or muted.

In fact, the Showbiz program shows two boxes, one detailing the video type, and one showing the audio.

In the video box it says mpeg2 and the frame rate and pixel size etc.

Unlike other captured video (eg MOV and AVI files) the audio details are blank when I run one of these files.

And yet the Power DVD "player", Winamp and Windows Media player play them with sound and vision.

Arrgh !!!!

Sans le Sou 12:31 24 Aug 05

What sound card have you got, can you change the outputs on it?

nibbly nibbler 13:51 24 Aug 05

It's the Avance 97 built in to the motherboard, and I don't have any other sound based problems with the PC.

i can't undertand why DVD playback programs can read the sound but that the editing programs can't.

what format is DVD sound in ?

More than likely the sound is in AC3 (Dolby Stereo).

Video editing programs will not see the audio if it is AC3.

To check, play the video back in Power DVD and Right click on the screen and select SHOW INFORMATION.

If you have AC3 then you need to convert this to WAV.

A program called DVD2AVI will do this for you. click here

Its FREE and legal.

nibbly nibbler 09:58 25 Aug 05

Well, you were right. AC3 sound. What the hell is that, and why is it so complicated to copy your own content ?

DVD2AVI seems a bit daunting and seems to crash quite a bit....but I'll persevere.

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now