DVD Authoring problems still !!

nibbly nibbler 11:12 25 Aug 05

I've posted on here previously, detailing problems in getting a DVD of camcorder footage ont the PC for editing. Video goes on, but the audio disappears.

I've had responses telling me to use DVD2AVI, and VFAPI.

I've dowloaded and installed these......but still no sound.

All the "guides" on the interent seem to refer to older versions of these programs, and they don't takky with what I'm downloading.

Has any one SUCCESSFULLY ever ripped DVD content, and imported it (Sound AND Vision) into a video enditing package ?

I want to split up content into "tracks" akin to a CD (perhaps as MPG), which can then be edited together ??

BaboonBoy22 11:23 25 Aug 05

Have you tried DVD Shrink? It saves it as an .vob file, not to sure if ur authoring software will let you edit, but it's worth a try.

Confab 12:19 25 Aug 05

What cables are you using to transfer the Video/sound across to you PC?

nibbly nibbler 13:42 25 Aug 05

I'm ripping the files to HDD using Xoom Movie Clone 3, plus the Rippers biult into Showbiz 2.

The resulting VOB files play fine in all the DVD Players software, such as Power DVD, Winamp, and Windows Media Player - with sound and vision !!

I don't think the rippers are at fault.

On my previous post, someone suggested that the audio is ripped to AC3 format - whatever that is - but why don't the editing progrmas see this ??

I can't change any settings for the "rippers" to put the audio into another format. They just create VOB files.

I think I need sterring in the direction of good, reliable software that can decod the VOB to say MPEG2, and convert the audio as well, to something that is usable by video editing software.

It can't be that hard, can it ??!!!!

David4637 13:57 25 Aug 05

Pinnacle Studio V9.4.3 will open a vob file providing you -

1. Change the file extension from a .vob to .mpg.

2. Buy a dolby stereo key from their site @ £6.

3. When you have edited the mpg, Studio will save the file back to a .vob for playing the DVD.

I know it works cause I have just done it. David

nibbly nibbler 14:06 25 Aug 05

David

Many thanks indeed. I will give it a try....!!!

Following on from your previous post, AC3 is Dolby digital. It compresses the sound so you can get more movie onto a disk. The standard for DVD players is they must play Dolby and PCM WAV (although most will also play MPG audio when combined with a movie). That is why your recorder records in AC3 format.

One way is to do as suggested and strip out the audio using DVD2AVI. Under AUDIO > OUTPUT METHOD, tick DECODE TO WAV. Then go to file and open your VOB set. Click OK. Then save, select your folder and name the file. All you will end up with is a WAV file and a text document.

To get the video stream you would need to use DVD Decryptor, if you can still find it, and stream the video out to the same folder. You now have a elementary stream for audio and video which should be editable.

aNother way of doing it is to use Nero Vision Express, which can edit VOBS and you can set your in and out points. OK if you want to trim the start, and the the end but difficult if you want to remove a bit from the middle, like perhaps adverts.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…