DVD Archiving of Data Is it worth it?

jonmac 07:08 25 May 05

I'm a bit paranoid about back-ups. I have a primary hard disk, copies of almost all data on a secondary and a double DVD copy into the bargain. The software compares all data recorded to the DVD at the time of creation.
In spite of all this I have found many files on one of my 12 DVD backup discs with "cyclic reduncy arrors" so the rest are now suspect. That's the first time any of the disks have been out of storage so presumably physical damage is not a factor.
So what else can I do to ensure the safety of data?
The DVD+R discs were by Datawrite.

€dstowe 07:49 25 May 05

I would never entrust important data to be preserved on a DVD (or CD) after some disasters many years ago where discs became unreadable for no obvious reason.

For my business, I do a daily backup to a slave hard drive in each computer and a weekly backup of each machine to a caddied drive which is kept away from the premises.

CyprusJohn 08:07 25 May 05

Your routine of backing up your HD to a second HD in your system is just what I am trying to achieve.
How did you do it?
I am about to fit a second HD in an effort to preserve Photos, etc, and would be very gratefull for guidance from someone who has actualy done it.

jonmac 09:15 25 May 05

CyprusJohn - Like yourself my data is largely photographic although other data is not insubstantial. The problem is that on encountering a defective file during a copy to HD operation, the system slows right down then exhibits a "cyclic redundancy error" then stops responding.

My backup routine to the second hard disk is purely manual. I try to update the 2nd HD every week although I'm not perfect in that respect.

For advice on the actual fitting I would recommend doong a search in this forum or on the net. There are plenty of sources.

TomJerry 10:23 25 May 05

otherwise, there is no point of backup.

Always two copies, one use -R and one use +R from different maker, ideally use different burnning software. Store them in different physical location, one at home, one in your work office.

Update backup regularly, once a month?

Ideally third copy on external HDD.

vinnyT 13:20 25 May 05

Found this

For CDs and DVDs, the problem is a little different. Normally, when CD/DVD drives get a CRC message from a disc, they try to read the disc again - hence the grinding sound. After several failed attempts, they give up and display the redundancy check error. The problem can be hardware (loose cables, failing drive), software or damaged media. In most cases checking and cleaning the disc is the easiest way to overcome the problem. If different clean discs produce the same error, it is likely to be a hardware issue (check the discs in another drive). Another common cause of these errors is poorly burnt CDs and DVDs - especially those that had numerous or severe buffer underuns. USB burners suffer from this problem when the burn speed is too high (generally above 4X-8X)

From

click here

vinnyT 13:22 25 May 05

PS. Sorry clicked the button too fast, it goes on to say

If the discs are damaged, you'll probably need a recovery tool to get back your data. CDCheck 3 will work for CDs and DVDs. First it will check the media, and then you have the option to recover the files. It's free for personal use and has saved many people heartache when it comes to recovering lost digital images and videos from damaged CDs.

Hope this helps

stylehurst 14:00 25 May 05

I find that archiving data is best achieved using a USB HDD.
I run 2 machines so the USB HDD is partitioned into 4 parts, 1 for each data partition on each machine, and 1 for each program partition on each machine.
The program partitions are used for storing an acronis image on a monthly basis. I can store a years worth before I have to start recycling.
The data partitions are a standard drag & drop which is done daily if a file has been worked on.
Each partition gets checked for bad sectors every couple of months.
I also keep CDRWs & some floppy back ups of really important files.
This system has worked for me for about 3 years now.

TomJerry 18:54 25 May 05

becuase magnetic media (HDD) have shorter life than optical media. DVD-+R, life about 30 years or over, but HDD less than 10 years.

jonmac 22:14 25 May 05

Just came back from a hard days work to all the responses, thanks.
Tom Jerry, I think the storage life on HDD is immaterial as I find hard disks give up after a couple or three years anyway so I change them before they do.
Both my DVD back up discs exhibit the same fault so dirt is ruled out, but why didn't the fault show up at the time of burning?
I'll try CDcheck again

CyprusJohn 07:18 27 May 05

Had a roughly similar problem caused, I think by Bufferring problems. Resolved it by using NERO and selecting the trial burn function where the programme does a trial run to ensure the speed selected for burning is not faster than the disc can accept or the media being used can give. Tedious at first but you soon get the hang of it and can safely burn on the fly once you are familiar with the CDW disc and HDD capabilities.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…