DVD 5.1 sound

muddypaws 21:11 23 Sep 03

I have 5.1 selected and get perfect 5.1 on Black Hawk Down a freebie cd download.
If I run Star Trek DVD 5.1 the only one I have all I get is stereo. It gives me the option of Media Player or Real One to use, which I presume is normal. Double checked all sound settings as far as I know. Can it be DVD player fault. DVD runs OK on domestic. Any ideas please.

sdf 21:19 23 Sep 03

what OS do u use? this'll vary a tad dependant but basically if u look in control panel and the sounds and multimedia option, then in the audio tab, then under the sound playback option click advanced. from there u can select a speaker configuration as the default one. give it a go

muddypaws 21:25 23 Sep 03

sdf. Win XP Home.
The Black Hawk plays automatically in 5.1, but will give your suggestion a go. Thanks

muddypaws 21:30 23 Sep 03

sdf. That's all set up as per my system.

sdf 00:09 24 Sep 03

I cant offer any other ideas then that - just thought might be that as I was having a very similar prob a while back and that was the solution. All the best with the solution

muddypaws 15:58 25 Sep 03

Any more help please. Trying to g et a squeak out of Watford, but as usual they don't want to reply.

muddypaws 16:04 17 Jan 04

Some months since I posted this, but never resolved it. Just to refresh-----
Win XP Home.
Will play a downloaded game in 5.1.
Will only play DVDs in stereo. All settings tried and tested. Could it be that Win Media Player and Real One do not support 5.1? If so is there a player that does. Thanks.

dfghjkl 16:13 17 Jan 04

i had a similar thread last week.real and wmp dont support 5.1 (well mine dont)what software are you using to decode dvds?i was using powerDVD 4.0 but that is only stereo,powerDvd 5.0 is 5.1 but it costs about £15-20 to upgrade,i found a copy of msiDVD that i got with my mobo,i use that as it is 5.1.if you go to click here you can download their dvd software as it is 5.1 but only free for 2 weeks.you could try putting "free dvd decoding software" into click here and see what it comes up with.

Diodorus Siculus 16:14 17 Jan 04

Depends on your DVD software player. I use PowerDVD which has 5.1 support. I don't know if MP / RP can play surround sound. Are there any setup options in either program for surround sound?

muddypaws 16:24 17 Jan 04

Must admit I haven't checked that on MP/RP.
Is Power a freeby download?

Stuartli 17:50 17 Jan 04

If you go into WMP9, Tools>Options>Devices, highlight the Speakers line and then click Properties, Audio tab and then Advanced button, you can change the configuration to whatever type of speakers you are using with your soundcard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…