DV Software on a USB External HD

prima12 20:37 04 Nov 05

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.I have just bought a DV camcorder and have installed Pinnacle Studio DV V9. My PC has an existing HD of 40Gb, and, with all the other programmes, plus Pinnacle, I don't have a lot of space left for editing etc. of my video clips. I am an absolute novice at the moment about using the camera and the software. What I was considering was to buy an external 60/80 Gb USB HD,install the Pinnacle software onto it, do whatever editing I require to do, and burn the clips to a VCD/DVD, instead of using my PC HD. Does this sound feasible, or could somebody suggest an alternative method? I am presently using W98se with USB 2.0, an Athlon XP 1700+ CPU, 256 DDR, and a firewire supplied with the Pinnacle software. Thanks for any help. P.

phil46 22:25 04 Nov 05

W98 does not support USB2 anything you put on this will only run at USB1 speed in my view to slow for the work you want todo,you should upgrade to WME or WXP.

ACOLYTE 22:35 04 Nov 05

But the HD should still work but at USB 1 speeds, to get USB2 you would net a USB 2 PCI card, but the software should still do what you need.

prima12 22:43 04 Nov 05

I installed a USB 2 card because
I have a scanner and a printer which are USB 2, which run from my PC?????

phil46 23:01 04 Nov 05

Interesting,W98 never supported USB2 you can install a USB2 card but as i said it will only
run at USB1 speed as indeed if you have any USB1 hardware connected,you will get no warning as it's backwood compatible.

phil46 23:11 04 Nov 05

You might find more info if you go to the Microsoft W98 website and download Umss.exe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…