dv camcorder to hdd

blue 17:11 16 Sep 03

is it possible to transfer directly from my cam to my hdd for future editing as the software(pixela,ulead video studio6)that i use only allows up to ten minutes before it stops thus you end up with breaks in a 1hour movie which i am trying to avoid

y_not 19:30 16 Sep 03

I am guessing that you are using windows98 as you O/S.

Win98 only allows a 4Gb maximum file size which would explain the 10 minute problem. Record in 10 min. segments then "stich" them together with studio6 during the editing.

Alternatively you could upgrade to win2k or XP

Hope it helps

Tony

blue 18:14 17 Sep 03

thanks y-not
but i am using windows xp and when i put the ten minute segments together and watch it on a disc you can see the breaks
ps sorry to take so long to reply but i had a little worm trouble

y_not 18:40 17 Sep 03

Oh! Sorry. From the description it seems like a win98 problem.

Sorry I cannot offer any other advice but to return you to the top of the list in the hope that someone else might have the answer (I'll keep watching in case they do - nice to know how you resolve it)

blue 19:10 17 Sep 03

ok y-not thanks anyway

Patr100 20:03 17 Sep 03

Make sure you see if here may be any relevant software updates from the Ulead website for your Program version which may help also if your XP is formatted to the FAT32 file system rather than the more recent NTFS sile system , you will have this limitation.

keenan 20:38 17 Sep 03

If you hav,nt got this -then its free from microsoft, Yes i did say Free & microsoft in the same sentence click here

PCA reviewed it earlier on this year.

I,ve used regularly to great effect!

blue 22:57 17 Sep 03

thanks all i`ll try the two options tomorow

MichelleC 09:42 18 Sep 03

DV capture and ptt/burning is very resource hungry. Things to check:

DMA enabled on hd's

all non-vital b/g progs off (+ av) or dropped frames will occur

BTW it's best to edit on 2nd hd, with main prog on 'c'

Is hd FAT32 or NTFS?

blue 19:53 18 Sep 03

THANKS MICHELLE
THE HD IS FAT32 BUT I DO USE A SECOND HD WITH ALL PROGRAMMES OFF BUT IN THE LAST HOUR I`VE MANAGED TO RUN WITH ULEAD FOR 54MINUTES AND ALL I DONE WAS TO CHAGE THE DRIVER AND ALSO TURN OFF SCREEN CAPTURE SO IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS DRIVER TROUBLE
SO THANKS ONCE AGAIN AND I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE ELSE

y_not 05:48 19 Sep 03

Dug a bit deeper into your problem but by the time I got back here the problem has been solved!

The reason win98 had this problem was because of the limitations of FAT32 (as mentioned by Patr100 & MichelleC).

I can't understand how the driver has resolved the problem and, from what I've found out, you are likely to have the problem again unless you change the file system to NTFS.

I have seen many postings relating to video from MichelleC - I would certainly check out her suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…